Planning for a Solar System

Do I need to have an “ideal” exposure to have a solar energy system?
Although an “ideal” exposure increases the effectiveness of a solar electric power system, your home may still work for solar power without having such an “ideal” exposure. Seek advice from a professional solar designer or installer to ensure success.
How do I know if solar panels will work on my home or business?
Below are a few tips to consider. You should call at least 3 solar contractors or professionals to discuss your particular site and options for adding solar to your location prior to investing in a solar system.

  • Orientation: The typical installation should have a southern-facing roof with little or no shade. East and west facing roofs also are good choices, but their yearly output is typically not as large when facing these directions.
  • Roof Angle: Most roofs, from flat to 60-degrees can accommodate photovoltaic panels, but an ideal roof slope to optimize energy production from your system would be 20 to 30%. While a solar electric system will produce power at a wide variety of slopes and orientations, it is important to try to maximize your output in relation to the size of the system.
  • Shading: Shading photovoltaic panels dramatically reduces their effectiveness, so make sure the exposure is free of trees, buildings or obstructions that could shade the panels or drop debris on them.
How large of a system can I install?
You can install a system large enough to offset up to 100% of your previous 12 month electric usage, as measured in kilowatt hours. Some customers choose to offset a portion of the energy, others choose to offset most or all of their energy; this is entirely up to you.
I have an existing solar system, can I install more?
You can install more solar on an existing system if your home is still using energy from the electric utility. If you purchased a new home or have installed a small system and want to go larger you will be required to wait 12 months to determine your new energy use levels. The additional solar system must be designed to produce no more than 100% of last 12 months of energy used as billed by the utility. A permit and new interconnection is required for the addition.
Is a Building Permit required?
Yes, a City of Roseville building permit is required to install a solar system or to modify an existing system. The system must pass a final permit inspection performed by the building department and Roseville Electric before approval for interconnection is issued. For more information on permitting visit:
Is an Interconnection Agreement required with Roseville Electric?
Yes, an interconnection agreement is required with Roseville Electric. This is separate from the building permit. Failure to obtain one is a violation of the City of Roseville municipal code and may result in daily fines and/or the disconnection of your solar electric system from your electrical panel or complete disconnection of your electric service. To complete the application for interconnection visit:
What is an Interconnection Agreement and how do I get one?
An interconnection Agreement is a legal document between the customer and Roseville Electric that gives permission to the customer to install a system to offset their energy use. The interconnect agreement addresses technical and practical aspects of connecting the solar generator to the grid. It is applied for prior to installing or modifying a solar electric system. And an approval to proceed is required prior to any work being done on the system. Final approval to interconnect is issued after the system has been installed, final documentation has been approved, the system has been inspected, and the customer has read and agreed to all of the terms and conditions of interconnection. To view the interconnection form and review all terms and conditions visit
Who gets the tax incentives?
The federal tax credit is available to the actual owner of the system. For more information on the federal tax credit, please refer to the Go Solar California website or consult a tax professional.
Show all Categories