What happens to stormwater when it goes down the storm drain?
Unlike the sanitary sewer system, which collects water from indoor plumbing and sends it to a wastewater treatment plant, water entering the storm drain system is discharged directly to nearby waterways without treatment.

I want to know about recycling.

The City of Roseville is making it easier for local residents to recycle and continues to develop new ways to protect our environment.

The main component of Roseville's recycling plan is the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) at the Western Regional Landfill. This facility will take incoming solid waste, disposed of by businesses and homeowners, and recover the recyclable materials. The MRF aims to reduce landfill waste by 25 percent and will help to reach the 50 percent reduction goal by 2000.

Roseville residents are encouraged to continue using newspaper, cardboard, CRV drop-off sites, buyback and recycling locations to help make the facility more efficient.  Please note that these recycling locations are for newspaper, cardboard and CRV items (plastic, glass and aluminum) only.  Encapsulated polystyrene (EPS) and plastic sheeting should NOT be placed in the recycling stations.  

For more information on recycling click here:


A fire hydrant has been hit by a car or otherwise damaged, who do I contact?
Fire hydrants do occasionally get hit by cars and damaged, many times resulting in large quantities of water overwhelming local storm drains.  If this is to occur first make sure you are safely away from the flooded area and accident, then contact the City Water Division at 774-5750. 
Are there any incentive programs to help with purchase of water and energy efficient products or appliances?
Yes, Water Conservation offers many free programs and generous rebates for City of Roseville residents.
Are there any services the City of Roseville’s Environmental Utilities Department provides to help make my home more Water or energy efficient?
Yes, the City provides Water Wise House Calls and the Energy and Water Audits for customers of the utilities.  To learn more about these programs and others steps that can be taken to save water go to www.roseville.ca.us/savewater .
Can I recycle plastic, glass or aluminum?
A resident can recycle California Redemption Value (CRV) plastic, glass and aluminum at the following drop-off sites:

  • Corporation Yard Road (behind the Police Department)
  • Maidu Park
  • Galleria Blvd. And Berry Street
  • Saugstad Park
  • Melody Lane
  • Washington Blvd (across from All American Raceways)


Simply place these items in your regular trash can.  We pick up all trash and deliver it to the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) where recyclable materials are sorted out by machine and by hand.  The remaining trash goes to the landfill and the recyclable material goes to market.

How can a resident receive a compost bin?
Backyard composting bins are available to the residents of Roseville. Call (916) 774-5780 for a container and instructions.
How can I arrange for a tour of a solid waste facility?
Group tours are available for the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) .  Please call 645-5230 to arrange a tour for your group.
How can I arrange for a tour of a wastewater facility?
Group tours are available of the City of Roseville’s Wastewater Treatment plants (WWTP).  Because these plants are fully operational and use various chemicals to facilitate the high quality treatment we provide, tours are not available for children 12 years old or younger.  

To arrange a tour for your group of the Dry Creek WWTP, please call 916-746-1800.

To arrange a tour for your group of the Pleasant Grove WWTP, please call 916-746-1900.
How can I dispose of a T.V. or computer monitor?
The City of Roseville, Solid Waste Utility provides a curbside pick-up for televisions and computer monitors.  For more information, click here.

Another way to dispose of these items is to take them to the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF).  This facility accepts old televisions and computer monitors, free of charge, weekdays from 7am-7pm and weekends 8am-5pm. The facility is located at the corner of Fiddyment Road and Athens Road in Roseville. For further information on disposal fees visit http://www.wpwma.com/.

How can I dispose of used, large appliances?
Items such as refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, ranges etc. can be disposed of at the Western Regional landfill at 3033 Fiddyment Road. Visit www.wpwma.com for directions, hours and rates. 

If you do not have a way to deliver the appliance to the Western Regional Landfill, Appliance Distribution, INC., will provide removal from your home (for a fee).  To schedule an appointment call (916) 497-0274.

How can I get involved and provide my input?
As a citizen of Roseville, you may get involved and provide your input to the Stormwater Management Program through public workshops, citizen complaints via the phone hotline or the stormwater webpage and through volunteer programs such as the storm drain stenciling program and Creek Week.
How do I check soil moisture content?
Knowing the soil moisture content will save water and help you create an irrigation schedule for a healthy looking landscape.  Using any of the following methods will help determine when and and how much to water. 

  • For indoor and outdoor use - Use a soil moisture meter that indicates three soil moisture ranges: Dry- need to water, Moist- Just right, and Wet- do not water. Soil moisture meters are easy to use and can be purchased in most stores.
  • For outdoor use only - Use a soil moisture probe to take a small core soil sample and assess how wet the soil is.  It can be purchased in most irrigation supply shops or landscaped nurseries.
  • For outdoor use only - Insert a shovel into the soil about five or six inches deep and lift the soil away, revealing the amount of water within the root zone of your plants or turf.
  • For outdoor use only - Walk on your turf to determine soil moisture content.  When walking, grass should spring back as you lift your feet up. If it is stressed or too dry, grass blades will spring up very slowly or not at all.
How do I clean my garbage can?
The safest way to clean the refuse container is to use a solution of water and dish soap.  If something stronger, such as bleach, is necessary to remove the smell, leave the water/bleach solution in the container overnight with the lid open. This solution can then be poured onto a dirt or landscape area in your yard.

If any type of cleaning agent is used, please do not allow this solution to enter the storm drain.  You may pour the water/soap solution onto dirt or landscaping.

Another option is to take the container to a self-service carwash area. Because the drains run to the sewer, it is safe to pour cleaning solution into them.
How do I detect leaks
A simple walk around inspection can help you to determine if you have a water leak.

First, you must have a water meter. Not all Roseville residences have water meters; however, in the near future all connections to the city water system will be metered.

If you do not have a meter, use the visual inspection method. To use the meter, first ensure that you are not using any water inside or outside the home. Be sure to alert all family members. Tell them not to use water while you perform the meter leak test (this includes flushing toilets!). The meter is located in a meter box somewhere on your property.

Find the box, then remove its lid and look for the counter that looks like an automobile speedometer. Be very careful when doing this as the lid is connected to the meter with a wire for the touch read head. Damage to this can result in City Crews having to come out and make repairs.

Find the dial that looks like a large black arrow or triangle. If you are not using any water inside or outside your house and this dial is moving clockwise, you have a water leak. Once you've determined that you have a leak, inspect your pipes, valves, etc. to find the source of the leak. Then make repairs as soon as possible.

How do I dispose of a Christmas tree?
A special Christmas tree collection is provided for two weeks after Christmas so that residents of Roseville can discard their Christmas Trees. Look for announcements that are run in the local Press Tribune, the City’s web page, EU Today and Channel 14 if you have Comcast Cable and Channel 73 for Surewest Televideo, Access channel. Sites used for Christmas tree collection include Maidu Park, Saugstad Park, Mahany Park, Washington Blvd. (across from the All American Raceways). Drop off is free of charge.

How do I dispose of car batteries?
Residents have several options for disposal of their used car batteries. 

Batteries can be taken out to the Materials Recovery Facility located at 3033 Fiddyment Rd. every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.  For more information please visit www.wpwma.com.

Also, the City of Roseville Solid Waste Division now offers curbside removal for used car batteries and motor oil.  For more information, click here.

How do I dispose of Household Hazardous Waste?
The Western Placer Waste Management Authority provides a collection for household hazardous waste every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday from 8am-4pm at the Materials Recovery Facility. This facility is located at the corner of Fiddyment Road and Athens Road in Roseville.
How do I dispose of medical needles (Sharps)?
In the past, used medical needles for in-home care were considered municipal solid waste and were accepted with your household trash collection. This worked well when everything was taken to the Regional Landfill. Now, the City of Roseville takes all refuse collected within its boundaries to the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF). MRF workers remove all recyclables from the waste stream by picking through the trash as it is carried through the facility on conveyor belts. You can help protect these workers by eliminating needles from the waste stream. 

Sharps containers, which hold 100 needles, are available at a nominal cost from several drug stores within the City. Please help ensure that all medical needles and containers are disposed of properly so they do not enter the waste stream going to the MRF. To dispose of them properly, here are a few options; The Longs Drug Store at 5090 Foothills Blvd. has a Sharps Program. A person buys the Sharps container from the store and is able to return it for free. The second option is to buy a Sharps container from other pharmacies that do not have a return program and take it to the Materials Recovery Facility when it is full. This is available seven (7) days a week. For further information and directions please click on the link for the www.wpwma.com.

California Integrated Waste Management Board

Safe Community Needle Disposal
How do I dispose of prescription medication?
Prescription medication should not be flushed or placed in your garbage container.  Please take all prescriptions to the Material Recovery Facility. Visit http://www.wpwma.com/ for more information.



How do I dispose of used motor oil?
A resident may take his or her used motor oil to one of the recycle sites listed below: 

WPWMA Materials Recovery Facility 3033 Fiddyment Road; 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM; Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday only. (916) 645-5180, http://www.wpwma.com/

Kragen Auto Parts 106 Harding Blvd.; (916) 783-0424

Kragen Auto Parts 3993 Foothills Blvd.; (916) 782-3211

SpeeDee Oil Change & Tune-Up 660 Sunrise Ave., (916) 781-6665

Firestone Store 1167 Roseville Square; (916) 783-0431

Also, the City of Roseville, Solid Waste Division  offers curbside removal for used car batteries and motor oil.  For more information, click here.

How do I eliminate water waste?
Monitoring your irrigation controller and doing weekly irrigation system maintenance is critical. Follow the steps below to minimize or eliminate water waste. Print this page and post it in a conspicuous place to remind you to save water daily.
  1. Run your irrigation system manually once a week to identify leaks, misadjusted sprinklers, or broken pipes and valves. Make repairs right away!
  2. Become familiar with your automatic irrigation controller and sprinkler system. Identify what each station waters, run times, and scheduled watering days. Post this information next to or inside the controller for quick reference. You will be able to adjust your irrigation schedule for each irrigated area as needed. Certain soil conditions or sloped areas will require multiple start times.
  3. Water for two or three short periods on your watering days rather than one long period. This will allow the water to soak into the soil and will minimize or eliminate run off.
  4. Use soil moisture content and weather conditions to guide your landscape water requirements. Do not water on rainy or windy days or during the winter months.
  5. Water during the cooler parts of the day. In hot weather, you may need to add another start time or a manual cycle if the soil moisture content is low.
  6. If you observe that water is running off into the gutter during the irrigation cycle, adjust the controller to water as indicated in number 3 above. The drainage system can also play a major role in helping you to identify excessive water run time. When programming your controller to irrigate every third day, set it to run two days prior to the day you mow. This will permit you to mow on the driest day of the cycle.
  7. If you spot algae growth near your drain outlet or on the sidewalk, safety becomes an issue. Clean it up right away. Over watering or a water leak is the most likely cause. Algae growth is caused by a slow continuous flow of water (where the water cannot dry up). Your drain pipe should not drain continuously in the absence of rain. Inspect your drain outlets for restricted flow, which will prevent irrigation water from draining properly. Algae cleanup is the responsibility of the homeowner.
How do I obtain a dumpster for large clean-up projects?
For yard and garage clean-up projects, 4-yard and 6-yard dumpsters can be rented through the solid waste division.

In addition to 4-yard and 6-yard dumpsters, Construction/Demolition dumpsters are available for rent to residents of Roseville, sizes range from 20- yard, 25-yard and 30-yard.

For rates and additional information click on the link below or call (916)774-5780

Click here for more information
How do I properly dispose of a popcorn ceiling which may contain asbestos?
The City and the Western Placer Waste Authority do not accept waste materials containing asbestos.  If it is determined that the ceiling contains asbestos, the homeowner needs to contact a private company that specializes in asbestos removal.

If the ceiling does not contain asbestos, it will be considered trash and can be placed in a trash container.  For a large amount, a homeowner should consider a larger temporary bin. The City rents temporary bins for a nominal charge. Call us at 774-5780 to find out more on bin rental.
How do I read my own water meter?
Residents are not encouraged to handle city water infrastructure, including the water meter, box, and lid.  The equipment can be damaged, and an unexperienced individual can be exposed to pinch, strain, and insect bite hazards.

Water use information is sent monthly in your utility bill.  If you have questions regarding your usage please call the Finance Department at (916) 774-5300.
How do I report a water leak?
Call (916)774-5750  
How do I report a water-waster?
Call (916)774-5750 or use this online form.  
How do I request a trash can?
The City of Roseville, Solid Waste Utility provides each residence with a 90-gallon refuse container for trash & a 90-gallon container for green waste. If you have moved into a home without a refuse container, please call 774-5780 for delivery.
How do I turn off my water?
Locate your water shutoff valve next to your home or structure (please see Paragraph 3 if your home is not equipped with a shutoff valve). Turn the valve clockwise until it stops, then go inside to check your faucet. If water is no longer available at the faucets, then you have successfully shut off your water supply.

To turn your water back on again, simply reverse the process. Before opening the main shutoff valve, however, check the faucets throughout your home to ensure they are shut.

If you can't find a water shutoff valve for your home or structure, you must call the city to have your water shut off. Only City of Roseville employees are permitted to operate the curb stop water shutoff valve located in a vault at the street or sidewalk. Do not attempt to operate this valve yourself. Customers or contractors who cause damage to this valve will be held responsible for the cost of repairs or replacement.

To turn off your irrigation system, look for a separate irrigation shutoff valve, usually located in the area of your automatic irrigation control valves or home water shut off valve. If such a valve is not already installed, it is a good idea to have one installed.

If you must contact the City of Roseville to open or shut the curb stop water shutoff valve, please call 774-5750.
How do is dispose of universal waste items such as household batteries?
It's easy. Here is what the City of Roseville has to offer for easy and convenient disposal (click below for more information):

  1. Drop off your dead batteries at participating retail stores.
  2. Call us and we'll pick it up at your house.
  3. Drive to the Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off site.

Drop off your dead batteries at participating retail stores. Roseville’s Battery Drop-Off Program.

The City’s Environmental Utilities Department and the Saxton Family Foundation are currently working with local grocery and home improvement stores to place household battery drop-off tubes at store entrances. The drop-off tubes are designed to safely hold dead household batteries and will be emptied and maintained by city staff. The emphasis of our new battery disposal program is to make complying with the new state regulations easy and convenient for our residents by placing these drop-off tubes in the businesses where our residents shop at.

The following retail locations now have battery drop-off tubes in their stores:

Bel Air Supermarket located at 1039 Sunrise Ave., Roseville

Safeway Supermarket located at 989 Sunrise Ave., Roseville

More battery drop-off locations will be added over the next few months as stores begin to participate in the program. Locations will be posted in upcoming editions of the EU Today newsletter and on the this web page.

Call us and we'll pick it up at your house. Roseville's free hazardous and electronic waste pick-up service.

Beginning August 14th, the City of Roseville Environmental Utilities Department will also provide a free hazardous and electronic waste pick-up service for Roseville residents. Some of the items eligible for pick-up include car batteries and oil, electronic waste such as televisions and computers, and all items covered by the new universal waste regulations. Residents simply call 774-5780 to schedule a pick-up time at their home. Pick-ups can occur as often as once a month. For a full list of items eligible for this new free pick-up service click here.

Drive to the Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off site.

Electronic waste may be brought to the Western Placer Waste Management Authority’s (WPWMA) Material Recovery Facility (MRF) any day of the week free of charge. The MRF’s hours are Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Other universal waste items, such as batteries (excluding car batteries), thermostats, fluorescent lamps, etc., are accepted at the WPWMA’s Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility, which is open Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. These items are accepted free of charge from Placer County residents only.

Both the WPWMA MRF and HHW facilities are located at 3195 Athens Road , near the corner of Fiddyment and Athens Roads, one mile west of Thunder Valley Casino.

For more details about the Material Recovery Facility’s waste acceptance policies please visit their website at www.wpwma.com/ or call 543-3960.

How is my community affected by stormwater pollution?
Stormwater and non-stormwater runoff often contain pollutants that have a negative impact on water quality and water use, including drinking water, agricultural practices, recreational activities and wildlife habitat.
How much does it cost to dispose of material at the MRF?
For information regarding rates, hours and location of the Material Recovery Facility (MRF) please visit  www.wpwma.com.
How much water do I use?
Typical Residential Water Usage breaks down as follows:

Landscape Irrigation: 51%

Toilets: 13%

Faucets, Cooking, Cleaning: 10%

Shower: 9%

Clothes Washer: 8%

Bath: 6%

Toilet Leaks: 2%

Dishwasher: 1%


Water Efficiency Plumbing Standards (Set by Energy Policy Act of 1992)

Showerheads 2.5 gallons per minute

Lavatory and Kitchen Faucets 2.2 gallons per minute

Residential Toilets 1.6 gallons per flush

Commercial Flushometer Toilets 1.6 gallons per flush

Commercial Blowout Toilets 3.5 gallons per flush

Urinals 1.0 gallons per flush
Is my water fluoridated?
Roseville fluoridates its water for the health and well being of our customers.  You receive fluoridated water if you receive your water bill from Roseville, unless you have been notified to the contrary by the Water Division.
Is recycled water safe?
Yes.  In fact, there has never been a documented case of a health-related incident that has been traced back to recycled water.
Is there enough water to meet future needs?
Roseville has always looked to the future when planning for water needs.  By working closely with City planners and projecting needs, Roseville has secured contracts for the water required for current growth.

At this time, Roseville has contracts from the United States Bureau of Reclamation (USBR) for 32,000 acre-ft of water from Folsom Lake. (One acre-ft is 325,828 gallons, the amount of water a typical Roseville household uses in a year.) In addition, Roseville has contracts for an additional 30,000 acre-ft with Placer County Water Agency (PCWA) and is currently negotiating an agreement with USBR to allow conveyance of this water through USBR facilities with delivery to Roseville at Folsom Lake.

A general plan for the City of Roseville identifies potential land uses for all undeveloped areas within the Roseville service area. Projected water demand for this development plan is 58,900 acre-ft when completed. This demand is still less than the 62,000 under contract, with the remainder used to help offset reductions during times of water shortage.

Roseville also recognizes the potential for periodic water shortages due to drought conditions that have historically affected California. During times of shortage, Roseville has committed, through the Water Forum Process, to reduce water use and to implement the drought contingency plan. This plan addresses restrictions necessary to for shortages of up to 50% of the water supply required in any particular year.
The water pressure in my house/neighborhood has dropped, who do I contact?
Normal water pressure in the City of Roseville is maintained at over 50psi in the service line. This is sufficient pressure for properly designed services.  In the event that low water pressures are experienced contact the City Water Division at 774-5750.
What can I do to prevent contamination of our waterways?
Contaminated stormwater discharges can be harmful to wildlife and the environment.  It is not economically feasible to treat all stormwater that enters our stormwater conveyance system. Therefore, it is important to reduce the opportunities for  pollutants to mix with discharges prior to entering the storm drain.  Pollutants include grass clippings, dirt, debris and wash water.

Remember, only rain in the drain.
What causes water waste?
Outdoor water use represents more than half of all water used in and around the home or business. Monitoring your irrigation controller and doing weekly irrigation system maintenance is critical.
What does the City of Roseville do with recycled water?
The City pumps recycled water through a system of purple pipes that are completely separate from the potable (drinking water) pipes.  The City pumps the recycled water to sites like golf courses and parks, where it is used to irrigate turf and shrubs.
What does this stand for (acronym list)?
SWMP: Storm Water Management Plan

SWPPP: Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan

NPDES: National Pollution Discharge Elimination System

BMP: Best Management Practices

MEP: Maximum Extent Practicable

SUSMP: Standard Urban Stormwater Mitigation Plan

SWRCB: State Water Resources Control Board

CVRWQCB: Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board

NOINotice of Intent
What happens to the sewage generated by my home (wastewater)?
Wastewater produced in your home goes through the home plumbing to a single service pipe (sometimes called a service lateral).  The service pipe goes from your home to the sewer cleanout and then to the mainline sewer pipe in the street.  Sewer stoppages or backups that occur between the cleanout and your home are the homeowner’s responsibility.  You would need to call a plumber to remove those types of blockages.  Stoppages that occur between the cleanout and the street may cause wastewater to backup through the cleanout.  Please call 774-5750 as soon as possible if you see this happening and city crews will remove the stoppage.

Once in the mainline sewer pipe, the wastewater flows downhill to one of the two wastewater treatment plants the city owns and operates. 
What if there is a drought?
Water Conservation and drought stages are explained in the City of Roseville Municipal Code. The Basic Water Conservation Stage exists when Roseville's water supply is adequate to meet all projected demands. Even though there is adequate water during the Basic Water Conservation Stage, wise policy dictates certain restrictions on water use. To view these restrictions, visit Section 14.09.060 of the Code. Drought Stages 1 through 5 represent levels of drought in which only a percentage of projected demand can be met. As the percentage decreases, the restrictions on water use increases.

Stage One

During a Stage One drought, the following restrictions shall be enforced:

All Basic Stage restrictions required by Section 14.09.060 shall continue in place, except where they are replaced by more restrictive conditions imposed by this section.

  1. Washing of streets, parking lots, driveways, and sidewalks is prohibited. The Director may grant an exception where necessary for the sake of public health or safety.
  2. Washing vehicles or boats is prohibited, except when washed using a bucket, or over an area which is landscaped and normally irrigated, provided that any hose used is equipped with a conservation oriented spray nozzle, or washed either an automatic or manual commercial car wash.
  3. Restaurants may serve water only by request.

Stage Two

During a Stage Two Drought, the following restrictions shall be enforced:

All Basic Stage and Stage One restrictions shall continue to be in effect, except where they are replaced by more restrictive conditions imposed by this section.

  1. Irrigation of landscaping is prohibited except between the hours of 4:00 and 9:00 AM and between 7:00 and 10:00 PM. The Director may grant an exception to the watering hours restriction where necessitated by water system capacity or public health and safety.
  2. Nonresidential customers must reduce their irrigation by 30% for existing landscaping.
Stage Three

During a Stage Three Drought, the following restrictions shall be enforced:

All Basic Stage, Stage One, and Stage Two restrictions shall continue to be in effect, except where they are replaced by more restrictive conditions imposed by this section.

  1. New or expanded landscaping is limited to drought tolerant trees, shrubs and ground cover. No new turf or grass shall be planted or laid.
  2. Trees and shrubs may be watered only by drip irrigation or handheld hose. If a hose is used, it must be equipped with a conservation oriented spray nozzle.
  3. All decorative fountains, decorative pools (not swimming pools), and decorative waterways shall be drained dry and must remain so until the city returns to the Basic Water Conservation Stage.
  4. All swimming pools and spas must be covered when not in use (to reduce evaporation), or shall be drained dry. If drained, they may not be refilled until the city returns to the Basic Water Conservation Stage.
  5. Nonresidential customers must reduce their irrigation by 50% for existing landscaping.
  6. Golf course fairways may not be watered unless reclaimed water is used.
  7. One half of the turf areas in all city parks and median strips shall not be watered.
  8. Except where reclaimed water is used, use of water for dust control shall be augmented by hardened, temporary truck routes. Non-potable water shall be used to the greatest extent possible.
Stage Four

During a Stage Four Drought, the following restrictions shall be enforced:

All Basic Stage, Stage One, Stage Two, and Stage Three restrictions shall continue to be in effect, except where they are replaced by more restrictive conditions imposed by this section.

  1. All residential irrigation must be by handheld hose only. The hose must be equipped with a conservation oriented spray nozzle with automatic shutoff.
  2. Backwashing of filters or filling of swimming pools or spas is prohibited.
  3. All non-residential customers shall reduce irrigation by 75% for existing landscape.
  4. Except where reclaimed water is used, no turf in city parks or medians will be irrigated.
  5. Unless reclaimed or non-potable water is used, water use for dust control is prohibited.
Stage Five

During a Stage Five Drought, the following restrictions shall be enforced:

All Basic Stage, Stage One, Stage Two, Stage Three, and Stage Four restrictions shall continue to be in effect, except where they are replaced by more restrictive conditions imposed by this section.

  1. Except where reclaimed water is used, turf or grass may not be irrigated.
  2. No person shall irrigate any landscaping except a tree, shrub, or drought tolerant ground cover. No irrigation shall be done except by handheld equipment with a conservation oriented spray nozzle.
What is Conservation Pricing?
Conservation pricing is a system in which you pay according to your level of water usage.  Currently, conservation pricing is in effect only for metered accounts.
What is recycled water?
Roseville’s recycled water is wastewater that has been treated and disinfected to the highest level required by the California Department of Health Services and is approved for many uses, except drinking.
What is stormwater pollution?
As rainwater and other discharges flow across the ground they pick up harmful contaminants like fertilizers, pesticides and dirt.  When the rainwater hits our streets, the water mixes with waste oil, automotive fluids and plant debris.  Unlike the wastewater we put down our sinks and toilets, stormwater flows to our waterways untreated.
What is stormwater?
Stormwater is the water that flows down the gutter into the storm drain and out to the creek during rainfall.  However, not all water that flows into our creeks comes from rain.  “Non-stormwater runoff” comes from a variety of places, including over-watered lawns and hosed-down driveways.
What is the City of Roseville Stormwater Management Program?
Under the provisions of the Federal Clean Water Act and its amendments, the City is required to obtain permit coverage from the State for stormwater discharges from its municipal storm sewer system to the Waters of the United States.  The law also states that municipalities must develop and implement a plan that addresses the six following Minimum Control Measures:

1.) Public Education;
2.) Public Involvement;
3.) Illicit Discharge Detection;
4.) Illicit Discharge Elimination;
5.) Construction Site Storm Water Runoff Control; and
6.) Good Housekeeping for Municipal Operations.

In addition, the plan must describe the individual Best Management Practices (BMPs) that will be implemented by the City to achieve each Minimum Control Measure.  The City must also track, assess, and report to the State on an annual basis regarding its program and the effectiveness of it BMPs.
What is the Water Waste Prohibition?
Section 14.09.160 of the City of Roseville Municipal Code prohibits water waste, specifically noting, "It is unlawful for any person to waste water and violations may be charged as an infraction or a misdemeanor at the discretion of the City Attorney."
What is Universal Waste?
Universal Waste is a category of hazardous wastes that are generated by several sectors of society, rather than a single industry or type of business. Hazardous wastes contain harmful chemicals which, if put in your trash, may harm people and the environment.

Batteries, electronic devices, fluorescent light bulbs, and other items deemed as universal waste should not be placed in your regular trash.

Click here for a list of items that can no longer be placed in your trash can
What is Water Waste?
Water is wasted when it is allowed to flow down the drain without having first fulfilled a useful purpose. This can be the result of leaks or running water unnecessarily. For a detailed description of water waste, see the City of Roseville Municipal Code, Section 14.09.030: Definition of water waste.
What measures should I take before digging in my yard?
In many instances utilities are run in Public Utility Easements (PUE’s) on private property.  This includes waterlines as well as gas, electric, telephone and cable.  If you are digging in the yard for pools, landscape trees, or other improvements it is always best to call in an Underground Service Alert (USA).  This is a free service and responding utilities will mark the locations of the utilities that exist in the area of the excavation.  The number to call for this free service is (800) 227-2600.  If utilities are damaged due to digging without calling in a USA, those digging are responsible for the damages.
Where can I learn more about water conservation?
The City of Roseville’s site contains useful information and tips regarding water conservation located at www.roseville.ca.us/savewater .

The City of Roseville Water Conservation Team is committed to helping our customers to use water wisely.

The United States Bureau of Reclamation (USBR) at Folsom Dam has a wonderful Water Education Center. The Water Education Center is located at:

American River Water Education Center
7794 Folsom Dam Rd.
Folsom, CA 95630-1799

We encourage you to visit the center to learn more about the many aspects of water and water conservation. You can reach them by email at watershare@usbr.gov or visit their website at http://www.usbr.gov .

Where does Roseville’s water supply come from?
Roseville's water supply comes from Folsom Lake and is treated at the Water Treatment Plant on Barton Road.  In order to provide reliability in time or water shortage or emergency outages the City also maintains 5 groundwater wells and several interties with surrounding water agencies.

The hardness of the water averages 33 milligrams per liter, which is equal to 1.9 grains per gallon. [0-50 Soft; 50-100 moderate; 100-150 moderately hard; 150-200 hard; 200+ very hard].

Fluoride is added to the drinking water at approximately 0.80 milligrams per liter of water.
Where is the nearest landfill?
The nearest disposal site for Roseville residents is the Materials Recovery Facility (MRF), located at 3033 Fiddyment Road. For further information about the MRF please call (916) 543-3960 or visit their website at www.wpwma.com.
Where is wastewater for the city treated?
Roseville's wastewater is treated at one of two Wastewater Treatment Plants.  In the northwest part of Roseville, treatment is provided by our newly commissioned Pleasant Grove Wastewater Treatment Plant west of Sun City Roseville.  In the southwest part of Roseville, wastewater is conveyed to our Dry Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant located on Booth Road.

Both plants produce recycled water that meets all the requirements for “full unrestricted reuse” specified by the California Department of Health Services (DHS).  Our recycled water is used to irrigate four major golf courses, several parks and selected streetscape.
Who do I call if I have problems with my wastewater service?
If you think you have a backup, or you see wastewater coming out of the round concrete valve cover (sewer cleanout) located near your curb, you can contact our service crews by calling (916) 774-5750.  If you require service after normal business hours or on the weekend, you will directed to our after hours answering service and one of our maintenance workers will respond to your call.
Who do I contact if I have questions regarding garbage (solid waste) new service?
Please contact the City of Roseville, Solid Waste Division at 774-5780.
Who do I contact if I have questions regarding my garbage (solid waste) bill?
Please contact the City of Roseville Solid Waste Division at 774-5780.
Who do I contact if I have questions regarding sewer (wastewater) connections or new service?
To set up new service, transfer or disconnect sewer service, please call Utility Billing directly at (916) 774-5300.
Who do I contact regarding a broken water main?
Water mains do get damaged from time to time and result in water leaks. If you at any time suspect a leak contact  the City Water Division at 774-5750. 
Who do I contact regarding uncollected trash?
Please contact the City of Roseville, Solid Waste Division at (916) 774-5780.
Who do I contact to report a blocked storm drain?
Please contact City of Roseville Streets Division at (916) 774-5790.
Who is responsible for leaks on my service line to the house?
The City is responsible for repairs of the service line through the water meter itself.  Any leaks in the service line downstream of the meter are the responsibility of the property owner.
Who uses recycled water?
Currently parks and golf courses are the main users of recycled water in Roseville, but in the future customers like the Roseville Energy Park will use recycled water for their cooling towers.
Why does the City of Roseville recycle water?
The City recycles water to create a more reliable water supply in our growing community.  Not only does the use of recycled water offset the use of potable water, recycled water is drought-proof; during drought, the recycled water supply is unaffected.
Why should I conserve water?
  • Water is vital to life, second only to air. Without it, we cannot survive.
  • The amount of water on earth has not changed since the earth was created. What we have now is all we will ever have.
  • Water is the foundation of our food chain; saving water ensures an adequate food supply.
  • Saving water preserves our environment through a balanced ecosystem.
  • Saving water reduces the energy it takes to process and deliver it, reducing pollution and conserving fuel sources.
  • Saving water now means having water available for recreational uses for years to come.
  • Saving water now minimizes the effects of water shortages and helps to build a buffer against future drought years.
  • Saving water now ensures water for future generations to come.
  • Proper application of irrigation water will prevent water run off and enhance the appearance of your landscape.
  • Saving water saves money! Simply put, using water wisely makes cents every day.
Will my trash be collected on Holidays?
Even though the office is closed, holidays do not affect pick-up schedules.

Have your can or bin out for service as usual by 7 a.m.

Show all Categories