Permits & Licenses

Can I get a Small Business loan?
The City of Roseville does not provide Small Business Loans.  Small Business Loans are provided through banks that specialize in such loans.  A list of participating banks can be found at the Small Business Administration website at
Can I put up a sign on telephone poles
There is no posting of signs on any City/Public property, including telephone poles.
Do I need a permit for a new swimming pool
Yes you do. The Building Inspection Division of Public Works has a packet which includes information for submittal of the pool.
Do I need a permit for a yard or garage sale?

No, if the following standards are met.

A)     Maximum of three (3) sales per calendar year at the same address;

B)     Not to exceed three (3) calendar days per event; and

            C)  Operating during daylight hours only.
Do I need a permit for my business sign?

Businesses refacing existing signs that do not involve electrical connections do not need a sign permit.  New signs do need a sign permit, and most wall signs can be issued over-the-counter. 


The applicant can pick up the required Sign Permit application and Building Permit application at the Permit Center located at the Civic Center at 311 Vernon Street or download the forms from 


Many commercial and business centers have specific criteria for sign design and location, so call the Planning Department at 916-774-5279 for information regarding your specific site.

Do I need a permit to remodel my house?
The Building Inspection Division of Public Works has two packets for remodeling of a house. One is for addition of square footage, the other is for interior remodeling only.
How are fees and bonds determined?
  • Fees are calculated to be 5% of the approved engineer’s cost estimate for all public improvements, grading and erosion/sediment control for the project.  2 1/2% is due at initial plan submittal and the remaining 2 1/2% is due at plan approval.
  • The grading permit bond is calculated to be 10% of the approved engineer’s cost estimate for earthwork and erosion/sediment control.
  • The encroachment permit bond is calculated to be 100% of the approved engineer’s cost estimate of all public improvements.


How can I find out how much it will cost to construct a new commercial (or industrial) building in Roseville?
You can find detailed information about fees in the Commercial/Industrial Fee Booklet.  This booklet explains what fees apply to projects and how to calculate them based on your specific project.  If you still have questions after reviewing the booklet, you can request a fee estimate specifically for your project at NO CHARGE, simply by filling out a request form.
How do I apply for a concealed weapon license (also called a concealed carry or CCW permit)?
Contact the Placer County Sheriff's Department at (530)889-6929, or email them at for further application process information.  Additional information is also available for residents on the Placer County Sheriff's website at

California law allows Chiefs of Police to enter into an agreement with their Sheriff's Offices to process all applications for licenses, renewals of licenses and amendments to licenses.  The Roseville Police Department has entered into such an agreement with the Placer County Sheriff's Office to conduct the complete application and issuance process for all concealed weapons permits, renewals and amendments.

Click here to see Roseville Police Department's Concealed Weapon License Policy:

How do I get a grading permit and what are the requirements?
A grading permit can be obtained at the Permit Center.  The grading permit application is also available on our website.  There may be fees or bonds required for the permit depending on the type of work that is to be done.
How do I get an encroachment permit and what are the requirements?
An encroachment permit can be obtained at the Permit Center.  The encroachment permit application is also available on our website.  There may be fees or bonds required for the permit depending on the type of work that is to be done. The applicant for the encroachment permit must provide proof of insurance to our Risk Management Department.
How do I obtain a contractor’s license
Contact the Contractors State License Board at 1-800-321-2752.
How do I renew my contractor’s license
Contact the Contractors State License Board at 1-800-321-2752.
How do I request an inspection for work within the City's right-of-way?
Call the assigned Public Works Inspector 48 hours prior to the needed inspection. You can contact your Public Works Inspector on their cell phone or call the Engineering Division of Public Works at (916) 774-5441.
How do we make field changes/revisions to the plans?
  • The consulting engineer shall submit the proposed changes for review.  The changes shall be clearly shown and labeled on the plans and all departments that may be concerned with the proposed changes must approve the revision.  If the revision is deemed acceptable, then the Public Works Department will initial the original mylar sheets in the revision block and return them to the consulting engineer.  The consulting engineer will return the requested number of sets of plans to the Public Works Department for distribution to the various City departments.
  • Minor changes during construction, which do not affect the basic design of the improvements, may be made upon authorization of the Public Works Department without formally revising the plans.  These changes shall appear on the record drawings.

I am a registered user and am having difficulties with the on-line building permit application.
If you have logged in to the on-line building permit program previously but are currently having difficulties, it may be one of two issues.  Accela, the on-line permit provider, has indicated they currently do not support MS Internet Explorer 9 (I.E.9).  To correct this issue you may either uninstall I.E.9 or use a different computer with an older version of Internet Explorer.  The other issue may be specific to the property address for the building permit.  There are some instances where the City has placed a special "lock" or "hold" alert on a particular property address or parcel number, which may require the alert to be manually removed prior to the processing of the permit.  To ascertain if this is the issue, try to process another permit address or call the City's Building Division 916-774-5332,  
I am building a new house, what departments do I talk to?
For construction of a new home, you would need to contact the Planning Department for zoning, lot coverage and tree issues; Engineering Division for any grading issues; Building Inspection Division for submission of documents for permitting of the structure; and the Electric Department for location of electric meters.
I want to film in the city who do I talk to
Contact the Communications Department for more information. 
311 Vernon Street

CA 95678
Phone: (916) 774-5470
What are the as-built plan submittal requirements?
One set of 24” x 36” record drawing mylar, one set of 11X17 prints, one set of 24” x 36” prints and an electronic copy of the utility composite in plan view, DWG format.
What happens if I need to change the design of my project during construction?
Contact staff in the Development Section of Engineering first. They can be reached at (916) 774-5339. Major changes require pre-approval by the City. The assigned Public Works Inspector must have the approved revision BEFORE the change can be done in the field.
What is required to get an encroachment permit to place a dumpster in front of my house?
An encroachment permit application must be submitted along with a $60 fee and proof of insurance must be provided to our Risk Management department. 
What is the first step of construction once I receive my permit?
Arrange a pre-construction meeting by first calling your Public Works Inspector at (916) 746-1300.
What is the typical turnaround time for plan check?
Typical turnaround times are 4-6 weeks for the 1st check and 3-4 weeks for subsequent checks. These are typical times and can vary depending on the plan checker’s workload at the time of plan submittal.
When are permits needed for construction
Permits are required for any building or structures erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, improved, removed, converted or demolished. For information on obtaining a building permit call the Building Inspection Division at (916) 774-5332.
When do I need to obtain a grading permit?
A grading permit is required if more than 50 cubic yards of dirt is to be moved.
When do I need to obtain an encroachment permit?
An encroachment permit is required any time work is to be done within the public right of way or public easement.
When will my bond or security for a grading permit be returned to me?
The grading permit bond is released when the Public Works inspector has signed off the grading permit and all work to be done with the grading plan is complete.
When will my bond or security for an encroachment permit be returned to me?
The encroachment permit bond is released 6 months after the Public Works inspector has signed off the encroachment permit.
Where can I go for General Business Assistance?
The City of Roseville Office of Economic Development looks forward to assisting you and your business.  The Office of Economic Development provides programs and services for retaining existing businesses, recruiting businesses to Roseville and encouraging the start of new businesses.  We also partner with other organizations such as the Sierra College Small Business Development Center (SBDC), the Sacramento Area Regional Technology Alliance (SARTA) and the Placer County Office of Economic Development to provide additional services.  Please contact the Office of Economic Development at 774.5362
Where can I get fingerprinted for a job, license or other application?
Livescan fingerprinting is offered by a private contractor in the lobby of the Roseville Police Department, 1051 Junction Blvd. For hours and fee information call (916) 746-1039.
Where do I find the City's Construction Standards and details?
The City's Construction Standards are facilitated by the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department. 

Click here to download a copy of the Construction Standards
Show all Categories