Open Space

Can I fish in the open space?
There are two major watersheds that run through Roseville’s open space. According to the California Department of Fish and Game, in the Pleasant Grove watershed, located in the northwest part of Roseville, fishing is allowed all year with a bag limit of five. In the Dry Creek watershed (including Secret Ravine, Miners Ravine, Cirby Creek, Linda Creek, Strap Ravine, Antelope Creek, and False Ravine), fishing is allowed from the fourth Saturday in May until October 14 with a bag limit of two salmon and no trout.

Remember, any person who is 16 years of age or older must possess a sport fishing license when taking any fish, shell fish, reptile or amphibian in California. However, the Department of Fish and Game offers two Free Fishing Days each year. On these days, you can fish without a sport fishing license.

For 2008, California's Free Fishing Days are June 7 and September 27.
Can I make personal improvements in the open space?
Although the open space is public land and we want you to enjoy it, personal improvements are prohibited by City municipal code. This includes cultivating/maintaining gardens and building/constructing BMX bike tracks, patios and RV parking stalls. Any such alteration should be reported to the City of Roseville Parks and Recreation Department at (916) 774-5748.
Can I mow a firebreak in the open space?
For safety and liability reasons, it is not permissible for residents to cut firebreaks on public or private property. Where needed, firebreaks are created on an annual basis by the City of Roseville’s Fire Department. Call the fire department at (916) 774-5800 if you feel you need a firebreak. Also, in some areas the City must conduct surveys prior to mowing to monitor for the existence of ground nesting birds in the area. Unauthorized mowing may disturb or harm these birds and their delicate nesting habitat.
Can I walk my dog in the open space areas?
Dogs are allowed on paved trails in specified open space areas on a maximum six foot leash. The City’s municipal code prohibits any dog to run at large with the exception of Marco and Bear Dog Parks. Marco Dog Park is an off-leash dog park located on Sierra Gardens Drive just north of Douglas Boulevard. Bear Dog Park is an off-leash dog park located off of Pleasant Grove Boulevard within Mahany Park. The Dog Zone Map indicates locations where dogs are permitted within the City of Roseville.
Can I walk, ride my bike or drive in the open space?
When in open space areas, pedestrians and bicyclists should stay on designated trails, and avoid using shortcuts and user-created trails. These “trails” are not properly designed or maintained and can contribute to erosion. Off-road vehicles are strictly prohibited in open space areas by the City’s Municipal Code. Any off-road motor vehicle activity should be reported to the Police Department at (916) 775-5000.
What agency is responsible for questions and concerns regarding mosquitoes?
The Placer Mosquito and Vector Control District can answer any questions regarding mosquitoes. You may reach them at (916) 435-2140 or on the web for more information.

Placer Mosquito and Vector Control District
Who do I call about a beaver dam?
The City will remove a beaver dam if it presents a threat to public health and safety or property. For more information about beaver dams, call the Parks and Recreation Department at (916) 774-5748.
Who do I contact if I have an open space issue or concern?
Please contact the Parks and Recreation Department at (916) 774-5748.
Who should I call if someone has dumped debris or garbage in the open space?
To report dumping in the open space, please contact the Parks and Recreation Department at (916) 774-5748. If you witness dumping in progress, please call the Police Department at (916) 774-5000.
Why doesn’t the City remove natural debris from the creeks?
Natural debris in the creek—branches, logs, and root wads—creates food and shelter for fish and wildlife. This woody debris may need to be repositioned, removed or partially removed if it threatens life or property. However, because removing woody debris can alter or even harm fish and wildlife habitat, it is important to observe a situation before taking action. Removal of natural vegetation and alteration of the creek channel may lead to erosion problems on banks that were once considered stable.
Show all Categories