Hazardous Materials Management Plans (CERS)

Hazardous materials management is an important part of the CUPA Program. Hazardous Materials Business Plans (HMBP) provide the public, local emergency responding agencies, and local government agencies, information regarding potentially hazardous chemical situations in the community. Chapter 6.95 of the California Health & Safety Code (H&SC) requires that facilities that use or store such materials at or above reporting thresholds have a HMBP. As required by Assembly Bill 2286, all regulated businesses and local governments are required to submit their HMBP information electronically by January 1, 2013.

The quantity threshold which requires a HMBP is 55 gallons, 500 pounds or 200 cubic feet of gas. A storage permit is required for lesser quantities depending on the characteristic of the material. Please inquire about applicable state and local fees, and note the requirement for signature and date on the owner / operator identification page by the responsible reporting person. Section 107a (new section), titled the “PRIMARY NAICS”, is also required to be filled out on the Owner Identification Section in CERS. This number is the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS), can be found from a search for your type of industry on their web page.

If you are a participant in the Roseville Fire Department’s CUPA program, you must now submit a current HMMP online through the California Electronic Reporting System (CERS) Website. Regardless of the submittal date of your last paper Business Plan, please complete the online submittal.

Assistance with CERS

In an effort to assist Businesses with the CERS program, Roseville Fire Department has prepared a CERS Guidance Document. If you find you are having trouble navigating through CERS with the Guidance Document or you have additional questions, the Roseville Fire Department will provide training and answer any questions you may have.
The program known as "Community Right-to-Know" has both Federal and State elements, and is coordinated through the California Emergency Management Agency (EMA)