Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Economic Development Manager
PROMO EXAM: 13.032
DATE OPENED: 08/29/2013
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
: $8,265 to $11,076 MONTHLY (26 PAY PERIODS ANNUALLY)
FINAL FILING DATE
: Permanent and qualified City of Roseville employees may submit an application to Human Resources by 5:00 pm on Monday, September 9, 2013. Temporary employees are not eligible to apply.
TENTATIVE TEST DATE
: Oral Interview –
Tuesday, October 1, 2013
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the promotional position of Economic Development Manager to work in the Economic Development Department. The normal work schedule will Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. A flex schedule may be available.
To plan, organize, and coordinate various economic development activities within the Economic Development Department; to coordinate economic development activities with other members of the City’s economic development team, divisions and departments; to provide expertise in program elements for the organization; and to provide highly complex staff assistance to the Economic Development Director.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general direction from the Economic Development Director. Exercises direct supervision over assigned professional and administrative support staff.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following: Develop, plan and implement division goals and objectives; recommend and administer policies and procedures. Plan, organize and direct economic development and community development initiatives, including the development, marketing, and implementation of program activities. Direct, oversee and participate in the creation of the economic development work plan; oversee and monitor the work of members of various City departments assigned to economic development activities; assign work activities, projects and programs of staff under direct supervision; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures. Prepare annual and mid-year budgets related to programs and operations within the Economic Development Department; assist in budget implementation; participate in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; administer approved budget. Recommend the appointment of personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; implement discipline procedures as required; maintain discipline and high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the department. Work with developers, consultants and the business community to identify and develop programs
and projects that further economic investment; evaluate and develop recommendations regarding development concepts and project proposals.
Prepare and present reports and recommendations to the Economic Development Director, City Manager, City Council and a variety of boards, commissions, committees, community and business organizations, and other public agencies regarding economic development activities and projects. Develop, implement, and track economic development efforts to maximize the efficiency and effectiveness of the City’s economic development program. Develop marketing, promotional and public relations strategies designed to encourage the retention, expansion and attraction of new businesses to the community; make presentations to community groups, outside agencies and business community. Participate in the development of the City’s short and long-term economic development strategy; staff the Economic Development Advisory Committee; prepare agenda packet materials and facilitate meetings. Research and compile a variety of economic development data such as population trends,
demographics, vacancy rates, and traffic patterns. Analyze fee financing and deferral requests and make recommendations to Economic
Development Advisory Commission and City Council. Coordinate and facilitate the City’s Grants Advisory Commission. Research, compile and prepare reports and documentation on program activities; analyze program and develop corrective action, maintain records of findings and corrective actions; prepare periodic status reports. Participate in and perform analytical and project coordination tasks in support of special studies and
projects as requested by the Economic Development Director. Serve as City’s economic development representative on committees, outside organizations, and at staff subcommittees as necessary; coordinate economic development activities with other divisions and outside agencies.
Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
Perform related duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices of economic development and community development including
• business attraction and retention strategies and programs.
• Principles and practices of leadership, team building and conflict resolution.
• Research and analysis principles as it relates to economic development and community development data and trends.
• Technical report writing.
• Principles and practices of marketing, urban planning, economic and community development, redevelopment and real estate.
• Process for acquisition and disposal of public property.
• Principles and practice of establishing and administering development impact fees.
• Principles and practices of budget development, implementation, and monitoring.
• Pertinent local, State and Federal laws, ordinances and rules.
• Modern office procedures and computer equipment.
• Project and contract management and negotiation methodologies.
• Budgeting procedures and techniques.
• Principles and practices of supervision, training and personnel management.
• Organize, implement and direct economic development program activities.
• On a continuous basis, analyze budget and technical reports; interpret and evaluate staff reports; know laws, regulations and codes; observe performance and evaluate staff; problem solve department related issues; remember various rules and procedures; and explain and interpret policy.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk for long periods of time; intermittently walk, stand, kneel, climb, and bend while conducting training or inspecting field sites; intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone; write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
• Interpret and explain pertinent regulatory requirements and department policies and procedures.
• Develop and implement effective economic development programs that promote community investment.
• Develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with the business community, outside agencies and other City departments.
• Develop short and long-term economic development strategies. Analyze technical demographic data and draw logical conclusions.
• Assist in the development and monitoring of an assigned program budget. Develop and recommend policies and procedures related to assigned operations. Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
Five years of increasingly responsible experience in the development and implementation of economic development or community development strategies and business assistance programs and services, including two years of supervisory responsibility.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in economic development, business administration, public administration, community development or a closely related field.
License and Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
Applications will be screened to the most qualified candidates. This recruitment process may include a written, oral, or practical exam as appropriate. Applications will be screened to the most qualified candidates.
Promotional/Lateral (City Employees Only), Salary
Click here to apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.