Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Laboratory Technician II
: $3408 to $4796 monthly (26 pay periods annually).
FINAL FILING DATE
: We are accepting the
first 50 qualified
applications, or closing 5:00 pm, February 27, 2014,
whichever occurs first
TENTATIVE TEST DATE
: Oral Interview: March 11, 2014
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the regular and full-time position of Laboratory Technician II in the Environmental Utilities Department. The work schedule will be Wednesday – Sunday, 6:30 a.m.-3 p.m.
To perform physical, chemical, biological, and bacteriological analyses of wastewater, sludge, drinking water, industrial waste and related samples; perform related work as assigned.
Laboratory Technician II
This is the full journey level class in the Laboratory Technician series and is distinguished from the Laboratory Technician I level by the ability to perform the full range of duties assigned with only occasional instruction or assistance as unusual or unique situations arise. Positions in this class are flexibly staffed and are normally filled by advancement from the Laboratory Technician I level.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Laboratory Technician II
Receive general supervision from the Water Quality Laboratory Supervisor. May provide technical supervision over less experienced laboratory staff as assigned.
EXAMPLE OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
– Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Perform a variety of physical, chemical, biological, and bacteriological analyses of wastewater treatment plant samples as well as samples of sludge, drinking water, industrial waste, and other water/wastewater products.
• Set up, calibrate, and operate a variety of laboratory equipment and instruments; perform minor maintenance of laboratory equipment and instruments.
• Recognize problems that may occur in an analytical procedure and troubleshoot known procedures or confer with others to identify possible problems affecting results; recommend changes to procedures, as appropriate.
• Collect various samples for analysis from specific locations according to a predetermined schedule; may collect special samples as conditions warrant; prepare and preserve samples for transport, storage, and laboratory testing.
• Prepare standard chemical solutions, reagents and bacteriological media; keep laboratory facilities clean and in an orderly condition; order supplies and make recommendations regarding equipment purchases.
• Enter laboratory data into a computer system for further analysis and reporting purposes; maintain laboratory records and prepare required reports.
• Wash, clean, and sterilize glassware and other equipment; sterilize bacteriological supplies.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Pertinent local, State and Federal laws, ordinances/rules, and department procedures.
• Independently perform a variety of chemical, biochemical, and bacteriological tests.
• Evaluate outcomes of laboratory results in order to detect errors.
Experience and Training
• Two years of increasingly responsible experience performing laboratory analysis duties similar to that of a Laboratory Technician I with the City of Roseville.
• Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in chemistry, bacteriology, biology, or a related field.
License or Certificate
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
• Possession of, or ability to obtain within 18 months, a California Water Environment Association Grade 1 Laboratory Analyst certificate.
1. Describe your level of experience as a Laboratory Technician performing all of the following (Explain with time and examples):
a. Preparing reagents, standards and test media.
b. Performing standardized laboratory tests and examinations.
c. Assisting in more complex, specialized testing procedures.
2. What is your experience in the water/wastewater field?
3. Describe your experience troubleshooting laboratory instrumentation.
4. Describe your experience maintaining laboratory records and preparing reports.
Applications and responses to supplemental questionnaire will be screened to those most meeting the needs of the department. Those applicants may be invited to an oral interview exam (weighted 100%). Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid pre-employment medical exam, a drug and alcohol screening test, and a fingerprint check.
Regular / Benefitted, Salary
Click Here to Apply
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
RFPs and Bids
Parks, Rec. & Library
Maidu Indian Museum
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Real-Time Traveler Info
Road Closures & Detours
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2013 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.