Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Senior Payroll Technician
SALARY RANGE: $4,529
MONTHLY (26 PAY PERIODS ANNUALLY)
FINAL FILING DATE:
first 50 qualified
applications or closing at 5:00 pm on Monday, April 7, 2014, whichever occurs first.
TENTATIVE TEST DATE:
Oral Interview: April 30 & May 1, 2014
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The City of Roseville Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the position of
Senior Payroll Technician
in the Finance Department. The normal work schedule will be Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A flex schedule may be available.
To organize, assign and review the work of assigned personnel engaged in a variety of complex and specialized accounting duties related to processing City-wide payroll; perform duties requiring specialized knowledge; and to provide administrative support to assigned supervisor.
The Senior Payroll Technician is the advanced journey level in the Payroll Technician class series. Positions at this level are distinguished from other classes within the series by the level of responsibility assumed, complexity of duties assigned, independence of action taken, by the amount of time spent performing the duties, and by the nature of the public contact made. Employees perform the most difficult and responsible types of duties assigned to classes within this series, including providing technical and functional supervision over assigned personnel. Employees at this level are required to be fully trained in all procedures related to assigned areas of responsibility.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
• Receives direction from the Finance Manager.
• Exercises technical and functional supervision over technical and administrative support personnel.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Plan, prioritize, and review the work of payroll staff assigned to a variety of accounting functions that may include cash management, secondary labor, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, consolidated billing operations and budget.
• Participate in the preparation of recurring management reports as well as ad hoc analysis requests.
• Oversee and participate in the month and year end payroll close process and the annual W-2 issuance.
• Represent payroll in cross functional projects as needed.
• Assist in complying with applicable Federal, State and local laws as it pertains to payroll.
• Create and/or test proposed fixes, enhancements and updates to the payroll and time and attendance systems.
• Coordinate departmental specific time keeping processes, with the city-wide timekeeping system.
• Review and approve correspondence pertaining to employee payroll discrepancies.
• Develop schedules and methods to accomplish assignments ensuring work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
• Using benchmarks, monitor incoming workload to evenly distribute tasks to support personnel.
• Participate in evaluating the activities of staff, recommending improvements and modifications.
• Provide and coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies.
• Perform specialized work in reviewing and processing of various financial records; analyze and reconcile a variety of payroll records; process and maintain payroll records, and transactions, including Workers’ Compensation, State Disability Insurance and Employment Development Department Unemployment Insurance.
• Oversee the reconciliation and transfer of payroll taxes, ICMA files, quarterly taxes, and PERS retirement contributions.
• Provide assistance, as needed, in the preparation and processing of bi-weekly payroll.
• Answer questions and provide information to employees, departments and timekeepers about payroll and personnel procedures; interpret and explain payroll rules and regulations.
• Balance payroll system controls; balance and post payroll transactions to payroll ledgers and reconcile to the accounting system; and balance various other financial transactions with source documents and controls.
• Prepare, compile, tabulate and maintain payroll data and complex documents; assist with preparing technical financial, statistical and operational reports, statements and records.
• Perform the most difficult work related to area of functional responsibility, including researching, reviewing, and correcting financial, statistical, and operating reporting documents.
• Provide assistance and advice to City departments in resolving issues related to highly complex research and analysis of a variety of payroll matters.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices of technical and functional supervision and training.
• Principles and practices of financial and statistical record keeping and advanced analytical research.
• Methods of governmental accounting and payroll practices, especially as applied to municipal organizations.
• Pertinent local, State and Federal laws, rules and regulations related to area of assigned responsibilities.
• Organize, assign and review the work of staff engaged in a variety of payroll duties.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job. Intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; research, identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem-solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
• On a continuous basis, sit at a desk for long periods of time. Intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
• Perform the most complex and difficult duties related to the monitoring, analysis, and reporting of a variety of technical financial activities and software upgrades.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
• Two years of experience similar to that of a Payroll Technician II with the City of Roseville.
• Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance or a related field.
License or Certificate
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
1. Describe your experience as it relates to the processing of payroll including but not limited to; processing/reviewing timesheets, calculating deductions and contributions, EFT and retirement and payroll liability accounts.
2. Describe your experience as it relates to payroll and/or timekeeping system set up and configuration.
3. Do you have knowledge of macro or scripting languages? If so please describe.
4. Do you have experience working for a governmental employer? If so please describe.
5. Please describe your experience working as a part of a team in a deadline driven environment. What role did you play to make sure that your deadlines were met?
Applications and responses to supplemental questionnaire will be screened to those most meeting the needs of the department. Those applicants may be invited to an oral interview exam (weighted 100%). Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid pre-employment medical exam, a drug and alcohol screening test, and a fingerprint check.
Regular / Benefitted, Salary
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.