Send a link
Return to Previous Page
School Crossing Guard
SCHOOL CROSSING GUARD
PART TIME, TEMPORARY
SALARY: $10.50 to $12.76 hourly
FINAL FILING DATE: We are accepting applications until 5 pm, Wednesday, January 18, 2017. PERS retired annuitants are not eligible to apply.
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the temporary and part-time position of School Crossing Guard in the Public Works Department. The School Crossing Guard is not assigned to a specific location but will supplement staffing for absences. The work schedule will be a split shift (1.5 – 2 hours in the AM and 1.5 – 2 hours in the PM) Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7:30 am and 4 pm. Assignments can range from 2 hours shifts to multiple days. This position is limited to 25 hours per week for a maximum of 1,000 hours per fiscal year. This position is for year-round employment.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To perform duties related to escorting children across roadway intersections.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Escort children across designated intersections.
• Observe and report traffic violations.
• Promote and enforce safety procedures for pedestrians and bicyclists; survey designated area for potential hazards to the children's health and welfare.
• Direct traffic in emergency situations.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Current traffic and safety rules.
• Practices and methods of public relations and customer service; techniques and principles of effective interpersonal communication.
• Principles and practices of safety management.
• Report writing techniques.
• Basic computer usage.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand operations and observe safety rules; walk and pick up cones or portable pedestrian signs; stand and wait for children to arrive;; use voice to tell children to cross the street and to promote safety; use eyes to watch for traffic; judge distances of cars; identify sounds including the arrival of children and/or vehicles; intermittently interpret policies and procedures, and explain operations and problem solve issues for the public and with children.
• Intermittently, lift or carry weight of 15 pounds or less.
• Understand and translate City policies and practices into everyday working practices; make sound decisions with solid problem solving methods.
• Understand and carry out written and oral directions.
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date records.
• Use a computer to report time worked.
• Deal tactfully with the public.
• Work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
• Communicate effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
• None required.
• Education that ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
License or Certificate
• Possession of a valid California driver’s license.
Necessary Special Requirement
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
Applications will be screened by the Human Resources Department for minimum qualifications. Qualifying applicants may be contacted by the Department to interview. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Temporary / Seasonal, Hourly
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.