Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Permit Technician II
PERMIT TECHNICIAN II
SALARY: $4,106 to $5,778 monthly (26 pay periods annually)
FINAL FILING DATE: We are accepting the first 100 qualified applications or closing at 5 pm, January 23, 2017 whichever occurs first.
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the regular and Full-time position of Permit Technician I in the Development Services Department. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8 –5 pm.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To perform responsible administrative and technical support work in one or more specialized area of Development Services; to provide information and direction to the public on planning, engineering and building issues, processes and requirements at the development services/permit center counter; to receive, review, route, process and plan check minor applications and permits; and to research community development issues.
This is the journey level class in the Permit Technician serves and is distinguished from the I level by the ability to perform the full range of duties assigned with only occasional instruction or assistance as unusual or unique situations arise. Positions in this class are flexibly staffed and are normally filed by advancement from the I level.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from an assigned supervisor; and technical and functional supervision from a Senior Permit Technician.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide information and direction to the public at the counter, via phone, email, and written correspondence related to the City’s development and permit process including planning, building, and engineering, zoning issues, codes, standards, ordinances, and guidelines.
• Review applications, documents and plan submittals to assure accuracy and compliance with pertinent and established criteria; log-in and coordinate routing of various plans and permits to appropriate departments.
• Perform minor plan checks; issue minor planning, engineering and building permits.
• Calculate permit and mitigation fees and provide fee estimates as requested.
• Access, enter and update computerized plan check data entry and tracking systems and provide information to the public relating to the status of projects and permits.
• Prepare reports, memos and letters pertaining to development review and permitting; collect, record and balance permit-related monetary transactions.
• Research, compile and analyze data for special projects and various reports.
• Maintain manuals and update resource materials.
• Recommend and participate in implementation and improvement of policies and procedures.
• Create and update a variety of forms.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service
• Perform related work as required.
In addition to the qualifications for the Permit Technician I:
• City permit and plan check procedures, rules, regulations and guidelines.
• Maps, construction plans and specifications.
• Pertinent local, state and federal building, zoning, engineering and planning codes and regulations related to the permit process.
• Know and understand all aspects of the job.
• Interpret, apply and explain advanced regulations and standards related to land use.
• Understand complex construction plans, maps, and specifications.
• Respond to and assist in the resolution of difficult and sensitive development related inquiries and complaints.
• Independently prepare correspondence and memorandums.
• Use independent judgment and personal initiative.
• Know, understand, interpret and explain department and program policies and procedures.
Experience and Training
• Two years of increasingly responsible experience performing permit related duties similar to that of a Permit Technician I with the City of Roseville.
• Equivalent to an Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university. Major course work in building inspection, urban planning, architecture, landscape architecture, engineering, or related field is preferred.
License or Certificate
• Possession of a valid California Driver’s License upon date of appointment.
• Possession of a Permit Technician Certificate from the International Code Council within six months of appointment.
1. Your responses to questions 2-6, the applicant’s education, training and experience, will be scored using a pre-determined formula. Your responses to these questions must be consistent with your employment application information. This experience must also be described in the “Work Experience" section of this application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire that are inconsistent from your “Work Experience” section in the application will not be scored. I understand and agree with the above instructions.
2. How many years of full time experience do you have performing technical and administrative work in one or more of the following fields: utility planning, engineering, construction, community development, planning, and/or building?
- Less than 2 years
- 2-3 years
- 3-4 years
- 4-5 years
- 5+ years
3. Please describe your experience with the permitting and plan check process when either obtaining or issuing permits.
4. Please describe your overall approach and philosophy toward customer service.
5. Please describe your experience, if any, working with Accela Automation or other public agency permitting software platforms.
6. Please list any International Code Council (I.C.C.) certifications or training you have obtained that have prepared you for this job. Please list the year obtained and applicable expiration dates.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will have their application scored in a Formula Rate Examination. The applicant’s experience and education will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the Employment List. Supplemental questions will be utilized by the department hiring authority to make interview and selection determinations. Please note that applicants who meet minimum qualifications will be required to respond to an online Criminal Conviction Questionnaire sent via e-mail. Failure to respond to this questionnaire within (5) five calendar days of the e-mail notification will result in your application not being considered further. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Regular / Benefitted, Salary
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.