Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Assist Electric Utility Director-Resource Planning & Generation
: $13,473 to $18,055 monthly (26 pay periods annually)
FINAL FILING DATE
: We are accepting applications until 5:00 pm on January 30, 2017.
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the regular and full-time position of Assistant Electric Utility Director – Resource Planning and Generation in the Electric Department. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:00 am –5:00 pm; a flex schedule may be available.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To assist the Electric Utility Director in managing and directing the Electric Department; to plan, organize and direct the activities of the department and assigned divisions; and to provide highly complex staff assistance to the Electric Utility Director.
This classification is distinguished from the next higher classification of the Electric Utility Director in that the latter has overall responsibility for the Electric Department. This is an unclassified position in which the incumbent serves at the will of the Director.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
• Receives administrative direction from the Electric Utility Director.
• Exercises direct supervision over assigned management, supervisory, professional, and technical staff.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Assist the Electric Utility Director in managing and directing the operations activities of the Electric Department.
• Oversee engineering and operations of the City power generation facilities, energy risk management, portfolio planning, energy supply procurement and energy hedging.
• Direct integrated resource planning and forecasting, enterprise risk management, and wholesale and retail electricity market analysis; oversee and coordinate work of power management activities.
• Oversee electric systems; provide technical support for the SCADA systems and security systems; coordinate and negotiate with joint action agencies such as the Northern California Power Agency and Balancing Authority of Northern California to optimize the reliable and cost effective use of resources.
• Develop policies, procedures and protocols in the conduct of energy risk management to ensure stable, competitive costs; implement practices to comply with energy risk management policies, procedures and protocols.
• Assist in developing department goals and objectives; assist in the development and implementation of policies and procedures.
• Develop and implement the department’s work plan; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
• Assist with preparing the department’s budget; assist in budget implementation; participate in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, capital improvements, equipment, materials and supplies; administer the approved budget.
• Recommend the appointment of personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; implement discipline procedures as required; maintain discipline and high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the department.
• Plan, prioritize and monitor technical projects related to the operations of the Electric Department.
• Manage a variety of operational and administrative activities associated with the Electric Department.
• Manage the Request for Proposal process; recommend the selection of consultants and contractors; develop project schedules and serve as project manager on large, complex, or sensitive projects.
• Serve in the absence of the Electric Utility Director as required.
• Represent the department to outside agencies and organizations; participate in outside community and professional groups and committees; provide technical assistance as necessary.
• Research and prepare technical and administrative reports; prepare written correspondence.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices associated with the operations of an electric utility.
• Principles and practices of leadership, motivation, team building and conflict resolution.
• Pertinent local, State and Federal rules, regulations and laws.
• Modern office procedures and computer equipment.
• Principles and practices of organizational analysis and management.
• Budgeting procedures and techniques.
• Principles and practices of supervision, training and personnel management.
• Assist the Electric Utility Director in managing and directing operational activities of the Electric Department.
• On a continuous basis, analyze budget and technical reports; interpret and evaluate staff reports; know laws, regulations and codes; observe performance and evaluate staff; problem solve department related issues; remember various rules and procedures; and explain and interpret policy.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk and in meetings for long periods of time; intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone; write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
• Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
• Gain cooperation through discussion and persuasion.
• Interpret and apply City and department policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
• Supervise, train and evaluate personnel.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
Six years of increasingly responsible senior level management experience related to the electric utility industry.
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business administration, public administration, economics, engineering, mathematics or a related field.
License or Certificate
Possession of a valid California driver’s license by date appointment.
1. Your response to question 2, the applicant’s education, training and experience, will be scored using a pre-determined formula. Your response to this question must be consistent with your employment application information. This experience must also be described in the “Work Experience" section of this application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire that are inconsistent from your “Work Experience” section in the application will not be scored. I understand and agree with the above instructions.
2. How many years of increasingly responsible senior level management experience related to the electric utility industry do you have?
Less than 6 years
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will have their application scored in a Formula Rate Examination. The applicant’s experience and education will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the Employment List. Supplemental questions will be utilized by the department hiring authority to make interview and selection determinations. Please note that applicants who meet minimum qualifications will be required to respond to an online Criminal Conviction Questionnaire sent via e-mail. Failure to respond to this questionnaire within (5) five calendar days of the e-mail notification will result in your application not being considered further. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Regular / Benefitted, Salary
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.