Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Day Care Teacher
FINAL FILING DATE:
This position is open until filled.
PERS Retired Annuitants are not eligible to apply.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the 1,000 hour temporary part-time position of Day Care Teacher to work in the Parks, Recreation and Libraries Department. Under immediate supervision of the Child Care Site Coordinator, plans, implements and teaches age appropriate activities and/or programs for elementary age children at assigned City day care facilities. Performs related work as required. The normal work schedule will be weekdays between the hours of 6:15 a.m. and 6:15 p.m., Monday through Friday. This position is limited to 25 hours per week for a maximum of 1,000 hours per fiscal year. This position is for year-round employment.
To perform a variety of duties related to planning, implementing, and teaching age appropriate activities and/or programs for elementary age children at assigned City day care facilities.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Stimulate interest while teaching and supervising program activities such as sports, games, special events, arts and crafts, drama and social activities.
• Maintain positive student and parent relationships and follow disciplinary procedures.
• Maintain a safe, clean, and orderly classroom environment.
• Notify the appropriate staff of any problems with regard to site maintenance, children and parents, and make recommendations as necessary.
• Help to maintain records and reports as required; track and complete subsidized child care paperwork.
• Mentor staff in all aspects of classroom management, curriculum and team building.
• Coordinate supply needs.
• Assist Day Care Site Coordinator and Assistant Day Care Site Coordinator and Senior Day Care Teacher as required.
• Promote and enforce safety procedures; render first aid and CPR, if certified, as required.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Basic knowledge of elementary aged children with regards to interests, skills, special needs, recreational activities, and program planning of such activities, i.e., sports, organized games, specials events, arts and crafts and drama.
• Practices and methods of public relations and customer service; techniques and principles of effective interpersonal communication.
• Principles and techniques of first aid and CPR.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand operations and observe safety rules; walk to supervise children; stand for long periods of time; interpret, understand and follow policies and procedures, and explain operations and problem solve issues for the public and with staff.
• Intermittently set up booths, hang banners, move tables, chairs and carry supplies; participate with children on field trips, perform exercises with children; lift or carry weight of 45 pounds or less.
• Lead activities, applying knowledge to an actual day care program and the children therein.
• Supervise children on playground.
• Establish positive and professional relationships with children, co-workers and parents.
• Understand and translate City policies and practices into everyday working practices; make sound decisions with solid problem solving methods.
• Respond to emergency situations in a calm and effective manner; administer first aid and CPR, if certified.
• Learn to identify problems regarding the facility and programs; refer difficult problems/irregularities for more advanced attention and recommend possible solutions.
• Understand and carry out written and oral directions.
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date records.
• Work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
• Communicate tactfully with customers.
• Communicate effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing.
Experience and Training
• Minimum of six (6) months of work experience in a licensed child care center or comparable group child care program. Experience shall be verified as having worked at least three (3) hours per day for a minimum of fifty (50) days in a six (6) month period, as a paid or volunteer staff member, under the supervision of a person who would qualify as a teacher or director.
• Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade supplemented by completion of twelve (12) units in early childhood education, recreation, elementary education or related field or six (6) units completed and enrolled in at least three (3) qualifying units per semester until twelve (12) units are completed.
License or Certificate
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, CPR and First Aid certificates.
Applications will be screened by the Human Resources Department for minimum qualifications. Qualifying applicants may be contacted by the Department to interview. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
Temporary / Seasonal, Hourly
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.