Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Finance Clerk II
FINANCE CLERK II
SALARY: $17.80 to $25.05 hourly
FINAL FILING DATE: We are accepting the first 50 qualified applications or closing at 5 pm, March 29, 2017; whichever occurs first. PERS retired annuitants are not eligible to apply.
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the temporary and part-time position of Finance Clerk II in the Finance Department. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday afternoon, typically 20 hours per week.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To perform a variety of clerical accounting duties in support of specific assigned functional areas; to support other accounting staff; to prepare, maintain, and process accounting records, financial transactions and utility payments; and to provide internal and external customer service.
This is the journey level class in the Finance Clerk series and is distinguished from the I level by the ability to perform the full range of duties assigned with only occasional instruction or assistance as unusual or unique situations arise. Positions in this class are flexibly staffed and are normally filled by advancement from the I level.
This class is distinguished from that of the Senior Finance Clerk in that the latter is an advanced journey level class responsible for highly complex clerical accounting work and may exercise technical and functional supervision over assigned staff.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from assigned management or supervisory staff; and technical and functional supervision from a Senior Finance Clerk.
May exercise technical and functional supervision over lower level staff as appropriate.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide customer service at the counter, by telephone, or e-mail; receive money and issue receipts; balance daily cash drawer.
• Assist the public and City employees by answering inquiries about departmental policies, procedures and programs related to utility billing, licensing, accounts payable/receivable, , or consolidated billing.
• Provide clerical support to department staff; make copies of documents as needed; handle correspondence by typing memoranda, letters and reports as required; distribute correspondence, and process incoming and outgoing mail.
• Maintain books, records, and files; assist with processing of documents such as invoices, purchase orders, warrants, tax statements, and other records.
• Work with ledger accounts and other records; maintain subsidiary ledgers; accumulate records and statistics related to departmental operations.
• Research and resolve discrepancies; respond to customer questions regarding utility bills; set up payment arrangements.
• Print service orders and coordinate with other City departments for the turn on and off of utilities.
• Maintain records of monies received; post to ledgers, reconcile, balance and audit accounts; assist in preparing financial statements; quarterly tax returns and fiscal year end reports; complete bank deposit documentation.
• Review invoices for complete and accurate coding, taxes, discounts and totals; match invoices to purchase orders; allocate purchases to correct accounts.
• Process check and invoice print runs, credit card payments, electronic fund transfers, positive pay and file transfers to financial institutions.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
• Basic methods of record keeping, including personal computer uses related to spreadsheet and database applications.
• Basic mathematical calculations.
• English usage including spelling, punctuation and grammar.
• Principles of customer service.
• Methods and practices of bookkeeping and financial/statistical record keeping.
• Basic practices of handling cash and various methods of payment.
• Independently perform difficult and responsible clerical work involving financial and related statistical record keeping.
• Respond to and assist in resolving difficult and/or sensitive inquiries related to financial accounting records and processes.
• Interpret and apply City municipal codes, policies and procedures.
• Learn to perform a variety of accounting clerical duties in support of specific assigned functional areas.
• Intermittently review documents related to department operations; observe, identify and problem solve office operations and procedures; understand, interpret and explain department policies and procedures; explain operations and problem solve office issues for the public and with staff.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk and/or stand at counter for long periods of time. Intermittently twist and reach office equipment; write and use keyboard to communicate through written means; run errands; lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
• Learn to operate a personal computer for data entry, inquiry, and report generation.
• Maintain confidentiality of a wide range of sensitive information.
• Make accurate mathematical calculations.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain cooperative relations with those contacted during the course of work.
Experience and Training
• Two years of responsible experience performing duties comparable to that of a Finance Clerk I in the City of Roseville.
• Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade; supplemental course work in accounting, office management, computer science or related field is desirable.
License or Certificate
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California Driver’s License.
1. In your own words please describe the Accounts Payable process from start to finish.
2. Describe your experience in Accounts Payable which demonstrates your ability to meet deadlines while producing a large volume of work. Please include the size of the team and volume of work from a recent employment.
3. What is your proficiency using Microsoft Excel?
- No Experience
4. What types of documents have you created or used which include any challenging formulas and/or macros?
Applications will be screened by the Human Resources Department for minimum qualifications. Qualifying applicants may be contacted by the Department to interview. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Temporary / Seasonal, Hourly
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.