Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Senior Street Maintenance Worker
SENIOR STREET MAINTENANCE WORKER
SALARY: $3858.68 to $5429.55 monthly (26 pay periods annually)
FINAL FILING DATE: We are accepting the first 50 qualified applications or closing at 5 pm, May 31, 2017; whichever occurs first.
TENTATIVE EXAM: Oral Interview: June 27-28, 2017
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the regular and Regular Full-time position of Senior Street Maintenance Worker in the Public Works Department. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 6:00 am – 3:30 pm; a flex schedule may be available.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To organize, assign, and review the work of assigned personnel engaged in the work of staff involved in street maintenance, repair, street sweeping and construction work.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
• Receives direction from the Street Maintenance Supervisor.
• Exercises technical and functional supervision over street maintenance staff.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES - Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Plan, prioritize, review, and participate in the work of staff involved in a variety of street maintenance, repair, street sweeping and construction.
• Develop schedules and methods to accomplish assignments ensuring work is completed in a timely and efficient manner.
• Participate in evaluating the activities of staff, recommending improvements and modifications.
• Provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies.
• Maintain and prepare records and reports including work schedules, payroll records, material and equipment cost sheets, safety sheets, and preventive maintenance schedules.
• Plan and recommend materials needed for each project.
• Identify equipment needs for each assigned project.
• Participate in the full range of street maintenance, repair, and construction duties, including performing the most difficult duties assigned to the work unit.
• Operate a full range of heavy and light equipment such as dump trucks, hoist truck, rollers, motor graders, bulldozers, excavators, pavers, front loaders, water trucks, boom trucks, backhoe, traffic line removers, vactor trucks, sweepers, flail or rotary type mower, patch truck; and power tools such as compressors, rotor hammers, jack hammers, paint sprayers, asphalt grinders, and concrete saws as required.
• Process a wide range of reports and rough sketches for small construction projects.
• Map daily traffic control plan; set up traffic control plan; ensure adherence to proper safety precautions related to all work performed.
• Survey City streets for needed maintenance and repairs; inspect the work of crews while in progress.
• Provide advice, assistance and training to subordinate streets maintenance staff; maintain time, material, and equipment use records; attend meetings, classes, and seminars as required.
• Lead crew in performing of duties associated with painting and striping of City streets as well as installation of City sign posts and signs.
• Install pavement markers; fabricate, repair, replace and clean traffic signs when necessary.
• Maintain inventory of signing supplies; contact vendors for information on supplies.
• Operate heavy vacuum, broom type motor-driven street sweepers.
• Clean streets, parking lots, gutters, islands, and alleyways on assigned routes.
• Inspect equipment during operation and make minor operating adjustments.
• Requisition supplies as needed.
• Respond to questions and provide information to the public about City maintenance.
• Inform residents of work being performed and responds to public requests and inquiries.
• Respond to emergency situations such as flooding.
• Research safety topics that relate to job tasks as needed and conduct safety meetings with crew and other staff members.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices of lead supervision, training and performance evaluation, including safety practices and related record-keeping.
• Materials, methods, practices, and equipment used in street construction, maintenance, repair including thermo plastic applications.
• Types and levels of maintenance and repair activities generally performed in a street maintenance program.
• Operation of various types of heavy trucks, street-cleaning, water truck and other automotive equipment.
• Hazards and applicable safety rules and precautions in heavy-equipment operations.
• Traffic laws, ordinances and rules; basic rules and operations of a two-way radio.
• Elements of construction technology as they relate to the assigned construction maintenance and repair activities.
• Principles of lead supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
• Safe work practices including traffic control.
• Computer and related software.
• Act as lead worker and perform advanced journey level street maintenance, street sweeping, repair and construction work.
• Perform semi-skilled and skilled maintenance, construction and repair in the area of work assigned.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand operations, and observe safety rules; intermittently analyze problem equipment; identify and locate equipment; interpret work orders; remember equipment location; remember street names and general geographic areas.
• Intermittently, sit while completing forms and reports; load/unload equipment off truck; walk around job sites; kneel and bend while examining streets; climb in and out of trenches; perform simple and power grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation; and lift or carry weight of 75 pounds or less.
• Use and operate a variety of vehicular and stationary mechanic equipment, hand tools, power tools and equipment required in a safe and efficient manner.
• Operate equipment skillfully, safely and in accordance with traffic laws and regulations; diagnose and resolve equipment problems.
• Read and interpret basic maps, plans, and blueprints; read technical manuals. • Interpret and work from sketches, penciled layouts and blueprints, and prepared plans for minor projects.
• Keep records and prepare reports.
• Work regular shifts as assigned; may be assigned to on-call, call back, and/or emergency schedules that include evenings, weekends, and/or holidays.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
• Two years of experience performing work similar to that of a Street Maintenance Worker II with the City of Roseville.
• Formal or informal education which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
License or Certificate
• Possession of a valid California Class A driver’s license with a tanker endorsement.
• Possession of an International Municipal Signal Association (I.M.S.A.) Level III certificate within 2 years after date of appointment for sign or striping assignment.
Applications will be screened and those applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will be invited to an oral interview exam weighted 100%. Please note that applicants invited to the oral interview exam will be required to hand in a Criminal Conviction Questionnaire sent via e-mail with the oral interview exam invitation. Scores earned from the oral exam will establish the Employment List. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Regular / Benefitted, Salary
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.