Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Electric Line Technician
$10,910.90 monthly (26 pay periods annually)
FINAL FILING DATE:
Open Until Filled
WRITTEN EXAM DATE: TBD POLE CLIMB EXAM: TBD
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the regular and full-time position of Electric Line Technician in the Electric Department. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 6:00 am – 3:30 pm; a flex schedule may be available.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To perform skilled electrical repair work in the construction and maintenance of underground and overhead electrical transmission and distribution lines.
This is the journey level class in the Electric Line Technician series and is distinguished from the Electric Apprentice Line Technician level by the assignment of the full range of duties. Employees at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new, unusual or unique situations arise and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies within the work unit. Positions in this class are flexibly staffed and are normally filled by advancement from the Electric Apprentice Line Technician level.
This class is distinguished from the Senior Electric Line Technician in that the latter performs advanced journey level work and provides technical and functional supervision to assigned staff.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
• Receives general supervision from an assigned supervisor.
• Receives technical and functional supervision from a Senior Electric Line Technician.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Climb poles, splice and repair energized lines; construct new overhead and underground transmission and distribution lines.
• Set poles, install cross arms and breakers; string, pull dead ends and energize primary and secondary wires; mount, bus and energize transformers, cable, risers, potheads, substructures, conduits and underground circuits.
• Run service lines from poles to consumer’s premises; connect, disconnect and replace service loops; build bypass lines; phase out and cut in new circuits; cut and tap primary lines; pull and terminate underground cables.
• Inspect and test poles, lines and other facilities; mount street light standards, heads and electrical control devices; trim trees to clear wires; operate aerial bucket truck ,high ranger, line truck, puller and other related utility equipment.
• May occasionally maintain and repair switching gear, transformers and related substation equipment; respond to service calls.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Elementary principles of electricity.
• Principles and procedures of record keeping.
• Principles of electric theory as applied to circuits and wiring systems.
• Methods, procedures, materials and tools used in electrical installation and maintenance.
• Safe work practices.
• Department policies and procedures.
• Learn complex electrical line installation and repair work.
• Learn, understand and follow department policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand operations, and observe safety rules; intermittently analyze problem equipment; identify and locate equipment; interpret work orders; remember equipment location; and explain jobs to others.
• Intermittently, sit while studying or preparing reports; reach, bend, squat, climb, kneel and twist when repairing or installing equipment; perform simple pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation; and lift or carry weight of 50 pounds or less.
• Learn to identify system malfunctions and recommend appropriate corrective action.
• Perform work a considerable distance above the ground among high voltage lines.
• Prepare and maintain simple records of activities.
• Appropriately stock and load trucks with needed supplies on a daily basis; wash and clean trucks.
• Work assigned shift schedules; be available for call-back and on-call assignment.
• Work unusual and prolonged work schedules during emergencies, seasonally-caused circumstances in varying weather and temperature conditions.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Independently perform skilled electrical repair work in the construction and maintenance of underground and overhead electrical transmission and distribution lines.
• Assist with the training of staff in the Pre-Apprentice and Apprentice levels.
Experience and Training
Three years of experience performing duties similar to an Electric Apprentice Line Technician with the City of Roseville (performing skilled electrical repair work in the construction and maintenance of underground and overhead electrical transmission and distribution lines).
Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade and completion of a recognized power line apprenticeship program.
License or Certificate
• Possession of a valid California driver’s license upon date of appointment.
• Possession of a valid California class A driver’s license within six (6) months of date of appointment.
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, First Aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificates.
1. Your response to questions 2-3, the applicant’s education, training and experience, will be scored using a pre-determined formula. Your responses to these questions must be consistent with your employment application information. This experience must also be described in the “Work Experience" section of this application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire that are inconsistent from your “Work Experience” section in the application will not be scored. I understand and agree with the above instructions.
2. How many years of experience do you have performing skilled electrical repair work in the construction and maintenance of underground and overhead electrical transmission and distribution lines?
? Less than 3 years
? 3-4 Years
? 4-5 Years
? 5-6 Years
? 6-7 Years
? 7+ Years
3. Describe the structure of the Power Line Apprenticeship program that you completed. Please be specific in regards to length of time, name and location of company / Utility, and training received that makes you qualified for this position.
Applications will be screened and those applicants meeting the minimum qualifications will be invited to a written exam (pass/fail). Please note that applicants invited to the test will be required to hand in a Criminal Conviction Questionnaire sent via e-mail with the written test invitation. Candidates receiving a passing score will be invited to a practical exam (pass/fail). Candidates receiving a passing score on the practical exam will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination. Based upon responses to the supplemental application questions 1-3, the applicant’s responses will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the Employment List. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Regular / Benefitted, Salary
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.