Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Parks & Open Space Equipment Operator
$16.99 to $20.65 hourly
FINAL FILING DATE:
We are accepting applications on a continuous basis.
PERS Retired Annuitants are not eligible to apply.
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the temporary and part-time position of Parks and Open Space Equipment Operator in the Parks, Recreation and Libraries Department. The normal work schedule may include evenings and weekends. Candidates hired will work one of two schedules: Seasonal employees are limited to a maximum of 1,000 hours over a 5 month seasonal period. 1,000 Hour employees are limited to 25 hours per week for a maximum of 1,000 hours per fiscal year.
To perform a variety of duties related to maintaining the City’s natural resources, facilities, and property.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Operate heavy equipment such as backhoes, dump trucks and aerial lifts; operate golf cart type vehicle, mower or other machinery.
• Note and correct safety hazards; refer difficult problems/hazards for more advanced attention and recommend possible solutions.
• Prepare necessary forms and reports.
• Utilize proper safety precautions related to all work performed.
• Promote and enforce safety procedures; render first aid and CPR, if certified, as required.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
When assigned to Park Maintenance:
• Prepare and condition City operated softball and baseball diamonds.
• Maintain, mow, and clean parks and playground facilities, restrooms and surrounding areas.
• Repair and maintain park and landscape irrigation systems.
• Maintain municipal swimming pool pumps, filters, and related equipment; monitor and apply chemicals; refer to appropriate staff for further attention.
When assigned to Open Space Maintenance:
• Assist in vegetation management; assist in tree care, creek, preserve and natural resource maintenance.
• Maintain bike trails, power tools, and irrigation systems.
• Operate tree care equipment such as chippers, stump grinders, power tools and other related equipment.
• Perform data collection/GPS in preserves and open space areas, creeks, and the urban forest.
• Perform pesticide application.
• Basic methods, tools, and equipment used in natural resource and grounds maintenance.
• Basic principles and practices of record keeping.
• Principles and practices of safety management.
• On a continuous basis, walk, stand, bend, squat, climb, kneel, twist, and reach while operating equipment and perform maintenance and/or construction activities; perform heavy manual labor; operate a variety of hand and power tools used in maintenance activities; know and understand maintenance operations and/or construction projects, observe safety rules.
• Intermittently, analyze equipment problems; identify safety hazards; remember and locate equipment and tools; may interpret and explain work orders; sit while completing work papers; travel from job-site to job-site sitting in assigned vehicle or on equipment; lift or carry cement bags, fertilizer sacks and/or bags of chalk weighing 50 pounds or less.
• Learn to perform semi-skilled tasks in a variety of maintenance activities.
• Operate heavy equipment such as backhoes, dump trucks and aerial lifts.
• Operate golf type vehicle, mower and other maintenance equipment.
• Understand and translate City policies and practices into everyday working practices; make sound decisions with solid problem solving methods.
• Learn principles and techniques of first aid and artificial respiration.
• Respond to emergency situations in a calm and effective manner; administer first aid and CPR, if certified.
• Learn to identify problems regarding the facility and programs; refer difficult problems/irregularities for more advanced attention and recommend possible solutions.
• Understand and carry out written and oral directions.
• Communicate tactfully with customers.
• Work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
• Communicate effectively and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
• Two years of increasingly responsible experience performing parks and facilities, tree care, creek, preserve or natural resource maintenance duties.
• Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade; additional course work and training in maintenance, agronomy, horticulture, forestry, natural resource management or related field is highly desirable.
License or Certificate
• Possession of a valid California Class B drivers license.
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, CPR and First Aid certificates.
Necessary Special Requirement
• Must be 18 years of age or older.
1. Employees work one of two schedules; which schedule do you prefer:
Seasonal: Employees work a maximum of 1,000 hours over a 5 month seasonal period.
1,000 Hour: Employees work up to 25 hours per week for a maximum of 1,000 hours per fiscal year.
2. Do you possess a valid California Class A or B drivers license? If yes, please list the expiration date.
Applications will be screened by the Human Resources Department for minimum qualifications. Qualifying applicants may be contacted by the Department to interview. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
Temporary / Seasonal, Hourly
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.