Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Budget Analyst I
$5,968 to $7,998 monthly (26 pay periods annually)
FINAL FILING DATE:
We are accepting the
first 50 qualified applications
or closing at 5 pm, August 25, 2017;
whichever occurs first.
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the regular and full-time position of Budget Analyst I in the Finance Department. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8 am–5 pm; a flex schedule may be available.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To perform complex financial analysis related to preparing and monitoring the City-wide budget; to provide technical assistance to City departments as it relates to budget development and monitoring; and to research, analyze and review complex financial data.
This is the entry level class in the Budget Analyst series. This class is distinguished from the journey level by the performance of the more routine tasks and duties assigned to positions within this series. Employees at this level are not expected to perform with the same independence of direction and judgment on matters allocated to the journey level. Since this class is typically used as a training class, employees may have only limited or no directly related work experience. Employees work under general supervision while learning job tasks.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from the Budget Manager.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Perform professional technical and analytical work in the areas of City-wide budget development, monitoring and implementation.
• Prepare fund summaries for use in preparation of the City’s annual budget, mid-year review, and year end summary; analyze and recommend budget funding levels and determine impact of programs, cost proposals, and related matters.
• Coordinate the City budget process, including preparation of the budget manual, development of schedules, worksheets and exhibits; monitor interdepartmental cost allocation and actual expenditures.
• Approve capital equipment purchases based on approved budget; review and authorize accounts payable entries.
• Coordinate with Finance Department staff and other City departments to ensure cost accounting and revenue collection systems are consistent with the approved budget; review accounting systems and procedures as related to area of program assignment and make recommendations for improvements and/or modifications.
• Create, manage, and maintain inter-fund loans; perform annual budgeting of interest payments and payoffs; post and create journal entries for loan transactions; process year end audit for deferred interest and deferred liability balances and postings.
• Maintain the City’s Program Performance Budget and Quarterly Program Reports; track and report on departments’ performance.
• Provide assistance and advice to City departments in resolving budgetary issues; train City staff on budgetary process; prepare and maintain mid-year and annual budget instructions.
• Maintain knowledge of current development and innovations in governmental financial management, including budget management and financial accounting systems.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer services.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices of generally accepted accounting and reporting practices.
• Modern office equipment and methods including use of computer applications in word processing, spreadsheet, database, and graphic presentation.
• Automated accounting and information systems.
• Complex statistical research and analysis techniques.
• Perform professional duties in the analysis of a variety of complex accounting and financial data.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk for long periods of time; intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
• Learn pertinent local, State, and Federal laws, rules and regulations especially as related to accounting, auditing, and budgeting requirements.
• Apply accounting principles to the analysis of budgetary and accounting records; prepare financial statements and reports.
• Maintain confidentiality as necessary.
• Use automated accounting and information systems.
• Use a variety of personal computer applications in word processing, spreadsheet, database, and graphic presentation.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
Three years of professional financial, accounting, or budget experience.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance or a related field.
License or Certificate
Possession of a valid California driver’s license by date of appointment.
1. Your responses to questions 2-6, the applicant’s education, training and experience, will be scored using a pre-determined formula. Your responses to these questions must be consistent with your employment application information. This experience must also be described in the “Work Experience" section of this application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire that are inconsistent from your “Work Experience” section in the application will not be scored. I understand and agree with the above instructions.
2. How many years of financial experience do you have in a government agency?
Less than 1 year
3. Describe in detail your experience in budgeting in general and within a governmental entity in particular.
4. Please describe your experience collecting, evaluating and interpreting varied information and data, either in statistical or narrative format.
5. Please describe in detail your experience coordinating multiple projects and meeting critical deadlines.
6. Detail your experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of your work.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will have their application scored in a Formula Rate Examination. The applicant’s experience and education will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the Employment List. Supplemental questions will be utilized by the department hiring authority to make interview and selection determinations. Please note that applicants who meet minimum qualifications will be required to respond to an online Criminal Conviction Questionnaire sent via e-mail. Failure to respond to this questionnaire within (5) five calendar days of the e-mail notification will result in your application not being considered further. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Regular / Benefitted, Salary
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.