Send a link
Return to Previous Page
monthly (26 pay periods annually)
FINAL FILING DATE
: We are accepting applications till
5:00 pm on September 21, 2017.
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the regular and full-time position of Parks Manager in the Parks, Recreation & Libraries Department. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8 –5 pm; a flex schedule may be available.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To plan, organize, direct and coordinate the activities of the Parks Division including park operations and maintenance, open space, urban forestry, park planning and development; to coordinate Parks Division activities with other divisions and departments; and to provide highly complex staff assistance to the Parks, Recreation & Libraries Director.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general direction from the Parks, Recreation & Libraries Director.
Exercises direct supervision over assigned management, supervisory, professional, technical, and support personnel.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop and implement divisional goals, objectives, policies and procedures.
• Plan, organize and direct a variety of parks activities including the maintenance of parks and golf courses, open space preservation, urban forestry planning, community facilities districts, lighting and landscape districts and development activities including landscape architectural design, parks and streetscape construction and Capital Improvement Program and long range planning.
• Direct, oversee and participate in the development of the Parks Division work plan; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
• Prepare the Parks Division budget; assist in budget implementation; participate in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; administer the approved budget.
• Recommend the appointment of personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; implement discipline procedures as required; maintain discipline and high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the division.
• Oversee the operation and maintenance of City parks and related facilities, plan review, facility design and construction, open space preservation and urban forestry.
• Represent the division and department to outside agencies and organizations; participate in outside community and professional groups and committees; provide technical assistance as necessary.
• Research and prepare technical and administrative reports; prepare written correspondence.
• Participate in the planning, design, and development of new or expanded facilities such as swimming pools, ball fields, and golf courses.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices of park and tree maintenance and operations, landscape architecture related to park planning and design and natural resource management.
• Principles and practices of leadership, motivation, team building and conflict resolution.
• Pertinent local, State and Federal rules, regulations and laws.
• Modern office procedures and computer equipment.
• Principles and practices of organizational analysis and management.
• Budgeting procedures and techniques.
• Principles and practices of supervision, training and personnel management.
• Organize and direct parks operations, open space, urban forestry and park planning and development operations.
• On a continuous basis, analyze budget and technical reports; interpret and evaluate staff reports; know laws, regulations and codes; observe performance and evaluate staff; problem solve department related issues; remember various rules and procedures; and explain and interpret policy.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk and in meetings for long periods of time. Intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
• Perform the most complex work of the division.
• Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
• Gain cooperation through discussion and persuasion.
• Interpret and apply City and department policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
• Prepare and administer a budget.
• Supervise, train and evaluate personnel.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
• Five years of increasingly responsible experience in parks administration, including two years of supervisory responsibility.
• A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
License or Certificate
• Possession of a valid California driver’s license by date of appointment.
1. Your response to question 2 the applicant’s training and experience, will be scored using a pre-determined formula. Your response to this questions must be consistent with your employment application information. This experience must also be described in the “Work Experience" section of this application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire that are inconsistent from your “Work Experience” section in the application will not be scored. I understand and agree with the above instructions.
2. How many years of experience do you have in Parks Administration? This includes the planning, organizing, directing and coordinating of activities within parks operations, maintenance, open space, urban forestry, park planning or development.
Less than 5 years
3. Please identify the size/scope of your current organization and your position in the organizational structure.
4. Describe your experience directing and overseeing the development and administration of an annual operating budget for a full-service Parks and Recreation Department/Division. Please include your experience forecasting additional funds for staffing and equipment, along with monitoring and approving expenditures.
5. The Parks Manager oversees three divisions: Park Planning and Development, Park Operations and Open Space. What strategies would you look to implement to ensure harmony/synergy exists between all three?
6. Describe your experience working in collaboration with partners such as developers, neighborhood associations, school districts, business improvement districts, and or industry partners related to parks.
7. What experience have you had in presenting as part of a public process? Please include experience with community workshops, council, commission and boards.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will have their application scored in a Formula Rate Examination. The applicant’s experience will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the Employment List. Supplemental questions will be utilized by the department hiring authority to make interview and selection determinations. Please note that applicants who meet minimum qualifications will be required to respond to an online Criminal Conviction Questionnaire sent via e-mail. Failure to respond to this questionnaire within (5) five calendar days of the e-mail notification will result in your application not being considered further. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check, a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Click Here to View the Informational Brochure
Regular / Benefitted, Salary
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.