Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Refuse Truck Driver I
$17.97 to $25.28 hourly
FINAL FILING DATE:
We are accepting the
first 100 qualified applications
or closing at 5 pm, September 25, 2017;
whichever occurs first. PERS retired annuitants are not eligible to apply.
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the temporary and part-time position of Refuse Truck Driver I in the Environmental Utilities Solid Waste Department. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday 6:30a.m. – 2:30p.m.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To perform a variety of tasks in the collection of residential, commercial, and industrial solid waste refuse, including driving and operating a refuse collection truck.
This is the entry level class in the Refuse Truck Driver series. Positions in this class typically have little or no directly related work experience and work under immediate supervision while learning job tasks. The Refuse Truck Driver I class is distinguished from the II level by the performance of less than the full range of duties assigned to the II level. Incumbents work under immediate supervision while learning job tasks, progressing to general supervision as procedures and processes of assigned area of responsibility are learned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives immediate supervision from a Refuse Supervisor, and receives technical and functional supervision from a Senior Refuse Truck Driver.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Drive a one or two-person-staffed refuse collection truck, collecting refuse along an assigned route and emptying contents of trash cans and/or collection bins.
• Operate hydraulic/mechanical controls to load, compress, and dump refuse; collect and dispose of debris on assigned route; transport refuse to/unload at appropriate landfill sites and/or sewage treatment plant.
• Assist refuse truck driver by directing movement into alleys, driveways, and other difficult locations; assist truck driver with lifting/loading contents of trash cans and other collection containers.
• Complete and post notification tags on containers/bins/dumpsters regarding contents not acceptable for refuse collection.
• Maintain assigned truck by regular cleaning and washing, including inspecting for mechanical or other operating problems; report mechanical or related problems for maintenance; perform minor maintenance as appropriate.
• Complete, maintain, and submit records related to operations and maintenance activities, including those related to time, material and equipment usage.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Uses and purposes of general mechanical tools and equipment; safe work practices.
• Learn refuse collection techniques and to operate refuse collection vehicles and equipment.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand operations, and observe safety rules. Intermittently analyze problem equipment; identify and locate equipment; interpret work orders; remember equipment location; and explain jobs to others.
• Intermittently, sit while studying or preparing reports; bend, squat, climb, kneel and twist when performing installation of equipment; perform simple and power grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation; and lift or carry weight of 50 pounds or less.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
• No experience is required; some general maintenance and/or construction experience is preferred.
• Equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade.
License or Certificate:
• Possession of a valid California Class B driver’s license.
1. How long have you had a Commercial driver’s license?
Applications will be screened by the Human Resources Department for minimum qualifications. Qualifying applicants may be contacted by the Department to interview. Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid fingerprint check and depending on position applied for a pre-employment medical exam and a drug and alcohol screening test.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Temporary / Seasonal, Hourly
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.