Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Database Analyst II
$5305 to $7464 monthly (26 pay periods annually)
FINAL FILING DATE:
Qualified and Regular
City of Roseville employees may submit an application to Human Resources by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, October 16, 2017.
Temporary employees are not eligible to apply.
The Human Resources Department is establishing an employment list for the regular and full-time position of Database Analyst II in the Information Technology Department. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8 –5 pm; a flex schedule may be available.
The City of Roseville promotes a no smoking atmosphere.
To perform professional level work in designing, installing, managing, updating, and securing a variety of database systems, including spatial and relational systems; to provide support to information systems personnel and user departments relative to current and anticipated database systems.
This is the journey level class within the Database Analyst series and is distinguished from the I level by the assignment of the full range of duties. Employees at this level receive only occasional instruction or assistance as new, unusual or unique situations arise and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies within the work unit. Positions in this class are flexibly staffed and are normally filled by advancement from the I level.
This class is distinguished from the Senior Database Analyst in that the latter performs the most difficult and responsible types of duties assigned to classes within this series including assigned responsibilities for database management and exercises technical and functional supervision.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
• Receives direction from an Information Technology Program Manager.
• May exercise technical and functional supervision over technical and administrative support personnel.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Design and install databases for new systems and monitor for performance; install test patches and upgrades and monitor for performance; provide database support during vendor upgrades.
• Research, plan, install, configure and test new systems; maintain and upgrade existing systems and interfaces.
• Design and implement interfaces between database systems.
• Optimize database systems by performing routine maintenance procedures, including but not limited to, reindexing and updating statistics; check for database consistency; detect and repair database corruption.
• Perform data analytics to extract data and implement business intelligence solutions; create reports and dashboards.
• Administer and create solutions for cloud based collaborative solutions including administering platforms, researching upcoming features, and assisting users; provide user training, develop and promote standardization and best practices; develop architecture and governance.
• Build, deploy and support Enterprise Data Warehouse capabilities.
• Audit database for compliance.
• Administer, configure, and maintain spatial databases using ArcSDE technology.
• Manage files for desired database structure; monitor disk storage space and backup management activities.
• Design and implement backup and recovery plans; test backup plans.
• Create and maintain user permissions, system privileges, passwords and other security methods; install, administer and monitor license management software; monitor database usage for security purposes; check logs and files for evidence of problems and system failure.
• Provide technical support in the planning of new database systems including hardware, operating systems, licensing and storage requirements for new systems.
• Perform technical duties related to the integration of data between enterprise systems.
• Enforce data quality standards and perform quality control checks on associated data. Create and manage disk clusters, tables, indexes, and related systems and processes.
• Monitor database performance against established standards; detect and troubleshoot problems. Perform backup activities (on-line, off-line, and archive logs) at scheduled times.
• Implement data recovery plan when necessary; prepare related project status reports as required. Provide advanced level support for the data, analysis and database related issues.
• Coordinate assigned functions with and provide support to other departments, other jurisdictions and agencies, and the general public; conduct user training on group or individual basis as needed; advise and train information systems personnel on database issues.
• Partner with City departments and provide database solutions to meet business needs; integrate database solutions with other City enterprise solutions.
• Research and recommend vendors.
• Evaluate operations and activities of customer support; recommend improvements and modifications; prepare various reports on operations and activities.
• Prepare and maintain systems procedures and documentation; maintain and update manuals, codebooks, templates, Intranet for departments’ use, and computer control tables; assist in the development of database policies and procedures.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices of Oracle and SQL Server databases, Local Area networks (LAN), storage, UNIX and NT operating systems and network terminology; computer systems and related analysis and design.
• Principles and techniques of SQL, scripting, report writing, programming, electronic data processing and application documentation.
• Principles and practices of ESRI, ArcSDE, ArcGIS Desktop, and ArcGIS Server technology and GIS theory and concepts, depending on assignment.
• Records storage and handling techniques.
• Computer operating methods, languages and procedures.
• Principles and practices of complex database design, implementation, operation, maintenance, and data manipulation.
• Principles and practices of business analysis.
• Research, analysis and management related to databases. Extract, transform, and load (ETL) methodologies. Workflow and process improvement methodologies. Project management methodologies.
• Computer logic and mathematics.
• Perform professional level work in designing and maintaining a variety of database systems.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job. Intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk for long periods of time. Intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 30 pounds or less.
• Analyze, diagnose, maintain, and troubleshoot database and related network systems. Install and configure database specific desktop/server hardware and software.
• Provide technical expertise to City departments in support of business goals. Maintain and administer security systems and methodologies.
• Train or instruct users in the use of various databases.
• Create and maintain database backup and recovery procedures.
• Create and update scripts to automate database processing and maintenance. Prepare a variety of reports and maintain accurate records and files.
• Maintain confidentiality as necessary.
• Work weekends, evenings or standby, as required. Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Independently perform professional work in support of the City’s database systems, data management and analysis, and related network infrastructure.
• Analyze, design, program, install and maintain highly technical and complex operating programs.
• Troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve issues effectively. Prepare written procedures for complex database solutions.
• Write operating instructions and procedures for electronic data processing machine applications.
Experience and Training
Two years of responsible experience performing duties similar to that of a Database Analyst I with the City of Roseville.
Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Course work in computer science, information systems, GIS or a related field is desirable.
License or Certificate
Possession of a valid California driver’s license by date of appointment.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will have their experience scored in the Formula Rate Examination. The applicant’s experience will be evaluated using a pre-determined formula. Scores from this evaluation will determine applicant ranking and placement on the Employment List. Final promotional appointment is contingent upon having successfully passed a City-paid pre-employment medical exam specific for the position for which applied.
THE CITY OF ROSEVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION DUE TO A DISABILITY, PLEASE CONTACT THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT LEAST 5 WORKING DAYS BEFORE A SCHEDULED INTERVIEW/EXAMINATION PROCESS. MEDICAL DISABILITY VERIFICATION MAY BE REQUIRED PRIOR TO ACCOMMODATION.
Promotional/Lateral (City Employees Only), Salary
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.