Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Development Services Director
$10,060 to $13,481 Monthly (26 PAY PERIODS ANNUALLY)
FINAL FILING DATE: Qualified and Regular City Employees
should submit an application no later than 5:00 p.m., Thursday, December 6, 2012.
Temporary City employees are not eligible to apply.
TENTATIVE TEST DATES:
Oral Interview Exam: TBD
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for Development Services Director for the Development Services Department. The normal work schedule will be from Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A flex schedule may be available.
To plan, organize, direct, and review the activities and operations of the Development Services Department including the City’s Permit Center, Development Engineering Division, and Building Division; to coordinate assigned activities with other departments and outside agencies; and to provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Assistant City Manager.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives administrative direction from an Assistant City Manager.
Exercises direct supervision over assigned management, supervisory, professional, technical, and administrative support personnel.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop, plan and implement department goals and objectives; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
• Coordinate department activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations; provide staff assistance to an Assistant City Manager; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
• Direct, oversee and participate in the development of the department's work plan; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
• Supervise and participate in the development and administration of the Development Services budget; direct the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitor and approve expenditures; implement mid-year adjustments.
• Select, train, motivate and evaluate personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; implement discipline procedures; maintain discipline and high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the department.
• Represent the department to outside groups and organizations; participate in outside community and professional groups and committees; provide technical assistance as necessary.
• Research and prepare technical and administrative reports and studies; prepare written correspondence as necessary.
• Provide direction and technical assistance to the various divisions within the Development Services Department.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices of permit processes and code compliance as it is applied to building, and engineering.
• Principles and practices of land development, entitlements and permitting, related to private development projects.
• Principles and practices of leadership, motivation, team building and conflict resolution.
• Pertinent local, State and Federal laws, rules and regulations.
• Organizational and management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs, policies and operational needs.
• Principles and practices of organization, administration and personnel management.
• Principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
• Principles of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
• Plan, direct and control the administration and operations of the Development Services department.
• On a continuous basis, analyze budget and technical reports; interpret and evaluate staff reports and related documents; know and interpret laws, regulations, codes and procedures; observe performance and evaluate staff; problem solve department related issues; and explain and interpret policy.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk while studying or preparing reports; twist to reach equipment or materials; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 20 pounds or less.
• Develop and implement department policies and procedures.
• Gain cooperation through discussion and persuasion.
• Successfully develop, control, and administer departmental budget and expenditures.
• Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
• Interpret and apply construction and design standards, various codes and regulations, and department policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Supervise, train, and evaluate assigned personnel.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
• Seven years of increasingly responsible experience in community development including three years of administrative and management responsibility.
• Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, engineering, public administration or a related field.
License or Certificate
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver's license.
The selection process will be determined by the number of qualified applicants and may include a written, oral, or practical examination.
Promotional/Lateral (City Employees Only), Salary
Click Here to Apply
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
RFPs and Bids
Parks, Rec. & Library
Maidu Indian Museum
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Real-Time Traveler Info
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2013 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.