Send a link
Return to Previous Page
PROMO EXAM: 12.112
DATE OPENED: 6/26/13
$8,284 to $11,101 MONTHLY (26 PAY PERIODS ANNUALLY)
FINAL FILING DATE:
Permanent and qualified City of Roseville employees may submit an application to Human Resources by 5:00 pm on Monday, July 8, 2013. Temporary employees are not eligible to apply.
TENTATIVE TEST DATE:
Oral Interview – July 24, 2013
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the positions (2) of Principal Engineer in Public Works and Development Services Department(s). The normal work schedule will be Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A flex schedule may be available.
To plan, organize and direct professional engineering activities of an assigned section which may include public works engineering and utility operations, land development or capital improvement project activities; to coordinate section activities with other divisions or departments; to serve as City Engineer, as assigned; and to provide highly responsible professional support to higher level management as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Recommend and implement section goals and objectives; establish performance standards and methods for professional engineering work related to assigned section operations; develop and implement policies and procedures.
• Plan, develop and oversee the work of staff involved in activities related to assigned section operations, such as public works engineering and utility operations and maintenance, land development, or capital improvement projects.
• When assigned as City Engineer, sign, on behalf of the City, subdivision and parcel maps certifying that said maps are in substantial conformance with the approved tentative map; and sign, or cause to be signed, said maps certifying that said maps are technically correct.
• Evaluate operations and activities of assigned section; determine section priorities; develop short and long range plans; implement improvements and modifications; prepare various reports on operations and activities.
• Participate in budget preparation and administration; prepare cost estimates for budget recommendations; and submit justifications for staff, a variety of engineering, utility, and related capital improvement projects; monitor and control expenditures.
• Direct and/or participate in the preparation of complex engineering studies and reports related to public works, utilities, land development, or capital improvement projects according to section assignment; oversee coordination of assigned section activities with other City departments, divisions, and sections, outside agencies, citizens, consultants, and developers.
• Provide staff support to a variety of City boards, commissions, committees and industry specific boards, including making presentations and ascertaining direction, when appropriate, for implementation of approved recommendations.
• Participate in the selection of staff; coordinate staff training; conduct performance evaluations; recommend discipline; implement discipline procedures as directed.
• Answer questions and provide information to the public; investigate complaints and recommend corrective action as necessary to resolve complaints.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City Employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Principles and practices of professional engineering related to assigned function, which may include public works and utilities, land development, or capital improvement projects.
• Pertinent local, State, Federal rules, regulations, laws and MOUs, including the Subdivision Map Act.
• Modern office procedures and computer equipment and software such as AutoCAD, GPS, GIS, ArcView, ArcInfo and software related to specific department operations.
• Principles and practices of research analysis and management.
• Budgeting procedures and techniques.
• Principles and practices of supervision, training and performance evaluation.
• Principles and practices of work safety.
• Organize, implement and direct section activities related to assigned function, which may include public works, utilities, land development, or capital improvement projects.
• Principles and practices of professional engineering as related assigned function, which may include public works, utilities, land development, or capital improvement projects.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk for long periods of time; intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds of less.
• Interpret and explain pertinent section and department policies and procedures.
• Assist in the development and monitoring of an assigned program budget.
• Develop and recommend policies and procedures related to assigned operations.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff.
Four years of increasingly responsible experience in professional civil or environmental engineering, including two years of supervisory responsibility.
Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil, environmental engineering or a closely related field.
License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a California driver’s license. Possession of a current certificate of registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in California. When assigned to Water: possession of a Water Distribution Operator Grade 5 certificate issued by the California State Department of Health Services.
Applications will be screened to the most qualified candidates. This recruitment process may include a written, oral, or practical exam as appropriate. Applications will be screened to the most qualified candidates.
Promotional/Lateral (City Employees Only), Salary
Click here to apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Real-Time Traveler Info
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2015 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.