Send a link
Return to Previous Page
Power Plant Engineer
MONTHLY (26 PAY PERIODS ANNUALLY)
FINAL FILING DATE:
first 50 qualified applications
or closing at 5:00 pm on Friday, August 9, 2013, WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST.
The final filing date has been extended to August 26, 2013.
TENTATIVE TEST DATE:
Oral Interview Exam: TBD
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU COMPLETE THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE. YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE ALL NECESSARY INFORMATION.
The Human Resources Department is accepting applications for the position of Power Plant Engineer to work at the Roseville Energy Park. The normal work schedule will be Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. A flex schedule may be available.
To perform professional engineering activities related to the long-term maintenance and operations of the Roseville Energy Park; to review plant performance data for improvements in performance; and to serve as administrator for the computerized maintenance management system.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives direction from the Power Generation Superintendent.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Troubleshoot operational issues and review operating chemistry associated with the operation of the power plant; analyze data and develop options to improve performance.
• Develop long-term maintenance schedules; oversee the work of outside contractors and consultants in the repair and maintenance of the power plant.
• Identify beneficial Capital Improvement Projects; develop Requests for Proposal; participate in the selection and oversight of contractors and consultants.
• Work collaboratively with compliance personnel to ensure implementation of regulatory requirements do not adversely impact operations.
• Maintain and operate plant specific optimization modeling program to analyze the output and efficiency of the plant; model specific systems and recommend design or procedural changes to improve the efficiency of the plant.
• Review operating, startup and shutdown procedures and data and identify areas in need of modification or improvement.
• Develop and maintain drawing configurations, technical documents, regulatory, and plant event library.
• Assist in training of staff on operational and maintenance activities.
• Serve as administrator for Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS); initiate work orders, assign projects to personnel, audit completed work, close out work permits; produce reports.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Advanced knowledge of chemistry, thermodynamics, mechanical principles, and electrical principles as they relate to the operation and maintenance of a state-of-the-art power generation plant.
• Project management, including cost estimating and budget monitoring and control.
• Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment including word processing, database and spreadsheet applications.
• Technological programs used in the tracking and scheduling of maintenance activities and modeling of power plant operations.
• Methods for developing and implementing long-term maintenance programs.
• Independently perform professional engineering in support of power generation plant operations and maintenance activities.
• On a continuous basis, know and understand all aspects of the job; intermittently analyze work papers, reports and special projects; identify and interpret technical and numerical information; observe and problem solve operational and technical policy and procedures.
• On a continuous basis, sit at desk for long periods of time; intermittently bend, squat, climb, kneel or twist while performing field work; intermittently twist to reach equipment surrounding desk; perform simple grasping and fine manipulation; use telephone, and write or use a keyboard to communicate through written means; and lift or carry weight of 10 pounds or less.
• Review operational and maintenance issues, determine how changes will impact the overall operation of the power plant and determine appropriate course of action.
• Interpret, explain and apply City and department policies and procedures.
• Prepare and present technical reports.
• Effectively operate and maintain industry specific technology.
• Oversee and manage projects.
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience and Training
• Three years of responsible professional engineering experience that involved the operation and maintenance of a power generation plant.
• Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in mechanical engineering or a related field.
License or Certificate
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license.
• Possession of a certificate of registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of California.
1. Describe your experience in developing and managing gas fired combined cycle power plant heat rate improvement programs.
2. Describe a project you have worked on that you believe best qualifies you to be the Power Plant Engineer at Roseville Electric. What was your specific role on the project? Please describe the outcome in detail.
3. Describe any experience you have managing power plant water treatment and zero liquid discharge system maintenance and efficiency programs.
4. Describe a gas fired combined cycle power plant outage where you had a lead role in the planning and managing efforts? What went well and what could be done better next time?
Applications and responses to supplemental questionnaire will be screened to those most meeting the needs of the department. Those applicants may be invited to an oral interview exam (weighted 100%). Final appointment is contingent upon a check of past employment references, passing a City-paid pre-employment medical exam, a drug and alcohol screening test, and a fingerprint check.
Regular / Benefitted, Salary
Click Here to Apply
Bids & RFPs
Boards & Commissions
Parks & Recreation
Parks, Rec. & Library
Park & Facility Rentals
Solid Waste (Garbage)
Utility Exploration Center
Traffic Volume Information
311 Vernon St. Roseville, CA 95678
Copyright © 1997-2016 by City of Roseville. All rights reserved.