| || |
Local Shops Protect Vehicles from Scrap Metal Thieves
Last Updated: 11/26/2013
Those individuals driving a truck or an SUV should take notice: thieves have targeted catalytic converters on these vehicles for scrap metal cash. They crawl underneath these vehicles and remove the converter, ultimately selling it to a scrap metal dealer who had a loophole around the law.
In May 2012, the City of Roseville supported and advocated tightening the laws for payment surrounding scrap metal transactions. In September of last year, Governor Brown signed AB 1508 into law. Now, the City of Roseville has teamed up with area businesses to help our community better protect themselves against these thefts. Here is how we recommend you safeguard yourself from this situation:
The City of Roseville has stepped up its legislative advocacy efforts and will continue to monitor, track, and advocate for those bills that protect our communities through active engagement with state policy-makers.For more information, please refer to this.
- At home, park your higher-risk vehicle inside your locked garage.
- Make an appointment with one of our business partners to have your catalytic converter etched with your license plate number and painted with high-temperature neon paint. This will make your converter less attractive to thieves and scrap yards, because it's more easily identified as stolen property and can be traced back to you, the rightful owner. Four shops in Roseville offer this service for free--call first to find out if your vehicle is one of the more at-risk models, and to make an appointment. Our partner auto shops are:
- AutoNation (Dodge-Jeep), 200 Automall Drive, (877)590-7986
- Bill McAnally's Napa AutoCare Center, 900 Riverside Ave., (916) 676-0010
- Firestone Complete Auto Care, 8051 Washington Blvd., (916) 783-0431
- Roseville Toyota, 700 Automall Drive, (916) 774-4807
- Talk to your auto shop about welding rebar to the catalytic converter assembly. Thieves can't use quiet, easily concealed pipe cutters to cut through rebar--they'd have to use a noisy power saw. This will deter most of the thieves who prey on residential areas at night. There will be a charge for this service, which is offered by Roseville Toyota and their partner muffler shops.