Graphics Version

Homepage > ... > Police > Next Steps After a Crime, Citation or Arrest > Juvenile Probation Information

Juvenile Probation Information


1. What happens after a juvenile is cited for a crime in Roseville?
Upon receipt of the juvenile crime report, a member of the Roseville Police Department’s Youth and Family services will contact the parents of the juvenile by phone. Trained social worker interns will assist families who are experiencing problematic behavior with their children. Social workers will provide direction, education and community resources as it pertains to strong-willed or defiant youth behavior. The Placer County Juvenile Probation Department will make formal written contact with the juvenile within 2 months following the citation.

2. What is a Juvenile Citation Hearing?
A Juvenile Citation Hearing is a formal probation meeting held at the Roseville Police Department. The individual’s present at the meeting is the probation officer, social work intern, parents of the juvenile and the juvenile who was cited. If the juvenile does not contest the citation, and with parents consent, they may be assigned to Informal Probation or Peer Court depending on the status of offense.

3. What is Informal Probation?
Under informal probation, the minor is required to observe good behavior for a period of six months, make restitution to the victim for any damages. If deemed necessary, parents will be required to participate in a parent skill-building program for defiant or strong willed youth called Parent Project.

4. What is Peer Court?
Peer Court will conduct a trail to determine what punishment should be given for the offense. The prosecuting attorney, the defense lawyer, and the jury are all composed of students. Discipline can include a fine, restitution, work project, and community service. The minor also will be required to serve as a Peer Court juror in another student’s case. Upon the minor successfully completing all the assigned tasks, the case will be dismissed.

5. What is Formal Probation?
More serous crimes such as burglary or robbery rarely will be handled informally. If the charge is a felony (the most serious category of crimes) the law requires the probation department to refer the case to the DA. Mandatory referral is also required when the child has had a prior crime handled informally. The probation department’s phone number is: 916-784-6432.

6. What if your child displays defiant behavior but has not been cited for a crime?
The Roseville Police Department has a diversion program for juveniles who are not obeying the reasonable rules of their parents. Many juveniles are breaking family rules and it is a matter of time before they get cited for a criminal offense. The Roseville Police Department is committed to law enforcement interventions that contribute to the juvenile not becoming a formal probationer. The diversion program places a juvenile on a 6-month behavior contract with a police officer. The behavior contract consists of curfew, maintaining a good GPA, community service hours, drug testing, no affiliation with particular peers, and attendance in Parent Project and Parent Project Teen Program. This program is a service of the Roseville Police Department and not in the formal probation system.

7. What is Parent Project and Parent Project Teen?
Parent Project is in 33 states and has taught over 300,000 parents nationwide, and now offered in Roseville. It is a 10-week skill-building course for parents of strong-willed or defiant youth. Most parents have tried unsuccessfully, counseling, lecturing, and restriction. Parent Project puts parents “back in charge”. Roseville Police Department endorses this program because it works. The department experiences approximately a 70% reduction in repeat calls for service from homes where the parents have received the training. 90% of juvenile crime cases are referred into this program. View the 5 minute Parent Project Video on this web site. Any parent or guardian can register for this program by calling: 916- 663-6771. Parent Project Teen is a 10-week skill-building program for juveniles whose parents are attending Parent Project. Ages are 17 – 11. Teens don’t view themselves as having problems, it’s everyone else that is causing them to have problems. Teen will lean about labeling their feelings, sexualizing their behavior, peer pressure, drugs/alcohol and future choices.

8. Can families get help with truancy or running away behavior?
Running way or truancy is not a criminal offense, yet they are possibly early indicators of future criminal behavior. The Roseville Police Department has a full-time police officer and social work intern assigned to runaways and truancy. These cases come to the attention of law enforcement because of the at-risk behavior involved. If you would like to contact the officer assigned to runaways and truants please call: 774-5088.

9. I have other questions about juvenile behavior, who can I call?
You can contact the Roseville Youth and Family Services Manager who is a trained marriage and family therapist specializing in juvenile delinquency. Her number is 774-5017.

10. I would like to find out who is the school resource officer for my child’s school.
Contact the Records Clerk of Community Services at 774-5050 or contact the child’s school.


Homepage | Residents | Business | Visiting | Departments | e-Services | Apply | Find | Report | Sign Up
City of Roseville 311 Vernon St., Roseville, CA 95678. Phone: 916-774-5200.
Powered by Civica Software