| ||A vanpool is a motor vehicle suited for occupancy by more than seven but less than sixteen persons, including the driver, traveling to and from work. Vanpool members share expenses. |
- There are different types of vanpool arrangements:
- Third-party vanpooling allows groups of employees to lease a van on a month-to-month basis from a vanpool leasing company.
- Owner-operated vanpools are operated for employees by one of the vanpool members who actually owns the van.
- Some employee vanpools use vehicles owned by their employer.
- Vanpooling is effective for commuters who travel at least 15 miles each way and live near each other or travel along the same route to work; and have similar daily work schedules.
- Vanpooling is an economical and comfortable alternative to driving alone, and vanpoolers can save hundreds of dollars each year.
- Vanpoolers are eligible to park in preferred parking spaces, which are typically closer to the employee entrance than other employee parking.
If you’re interested in vanpooling to work with others who live close to you (and work for your employer or another employer nearby), check out www.sacregioncommuterclub.org You’ll receive a free matchlist of vanpools in your area, or prospective vanpoolers to create a new vanpool. Currently SACOG is offering a $2000 vanpool incentive program if you form a new vanpool.